Could you live in this

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't watched all the video yet but I I a big fan of the German kit houses. There was a lovely one on Grand Designs a few years back.

I would definitely like to downsize and live simpler, I like camping but that is not practical long-term. Narrowboats are quite homely and there are some fantastic waterways all over England. To me the key is some personal space or some land to make use of.

Last edited:
Looks ok to me and would solve the housing crisis

I know a few people that rather than move house as the family grows they buy a small garden room and the teenagers have moved out into them. They come with a small bathroom and a bedroom and are perfect.
Price of building a house at the min is through the roof.

It gets you a house, but what about infrastructure - roads, utilities, schools, hospitals, shops, and pubs!

I recently built this in the garden as an art studio for wife and daughters, had a few people commenting they'd like to move in !

IMG_2021-10-30-17-37-38-493.jpg

It won't be long before we see these again, we have 1.3 million immigrants on the cards to come in and there is already a housing shortage.
View attachment 85985
Sheer luxury. When I were a lad (... and that's where the Monty Python sketch ends, the rest is true)
.... in 1964 during the £10 immigrant scheme, we lived in Nissen huts. The school was a very long Nissen hut with rolladoor shutters in between the classrooms. The church was the school with the shutters rolled up. At the age of 10, I saw nothing wrong with it, it was home and it was comfortable.
I wish we (UK) were enlightened enough tp accept a million plus immigrants we're short of all trades including builders, truck drivers, farm workers, nurses, teachers etc, etc. Most of all, we're short of young, fit workers to pay the next generation's pensions.

Sheer luxury. When I were a lad (... and that's where the Monty Python sketch ends, the rest is true)
.... in 1964 during the £10 immigrant scheme, we lived in Nissen huts. The school was a very long Nissen hut with rolladoor shutters in between the classrooms. The church was the school with the shutters rolled up. At the age of 10, I saw nothing wrong with it, it was home and it was comfortable.
I wish we (UK) were enlightened enough tp accept a million plus immigrants we're short of all trades including builders, truck drivers, farm workers, nurses, teachers etc, etc. Most of all, we're short of young, fit workers to pay the next generation's pensions.
I have an interesting take on this.
We are short because (and this has been going on a while):
Existing sensible young people think starting a family is too expensive due to high cost of decent housing & inability to get social housing. So either wait an only manage 1 child or have no children.
Governent policy & short term-ism want all young adults to go to uni, so less available for normal jobs & companies won't take on trainees or apprentices & just expect available qualified people, hence we end up importing them.

And now half the youngsters are lumbered with tuition fees as well, so they will never be able to afford to move out. It's part of the great reduction in freedom of movement that's going on (not a conspiracy theorist, I've just had a few beers 😃)

It won't be long before we see these again, we have 1.3 million immigrants on the cards to come in and there is already a housing shortage.
View attachment 85985
There is an estate near me where these are still lived in. Known locally as “the prefabs” some have been bricked up but lots still have the tin walls. Must be noisy in a hail shower

There is an estate near me where these are still lived in. Known locally as “the prefabs” some have been bricked up but lots still have the tin walls. Must be noisy in a hail shower
We had them here too, called them the same prefabs, got a feeling they could have been cement sheeting, not sure. I remember a number of years ago one was sold in Williamstown (an affluent suburb of the bay area) often when people buy houses they get pulled down and a new one built. The guy who bought this one wanted to pull it down only to find it was grade two listed!
As for the tin roofs there are millions of houses here with them, even today they are still building them with colorbond roofing. Even in heavy rain you couldn't hear yourself speak because of the racket.

We had them here too, called them the same prefabs, got a feeling they could have been cement sheeting, not sure. I remember a number of years ago one was sold in Williamstown (an affluent suburb of the bay area) often when people buy houses they get pulled down and a new one built. The guy who bought this one wanted to pull it down only to find it was grade two listed!
As for the tin roofs there are millions of houses here with them, even today they are still building them with colorbond roofing. Even in heavy rain you couldn't hear yourself speak because of the racket.

If all roofs here were the same we would all be deaf 😂😂

I'm pretty sure areas of Wigan still have those posted by Foxy above, along with several tower blocks of Council/Social flats.

Last edited:
Post war prefabs:
A lot of them used asbestos for the roof & panels, that's why they were removed.
Thin outer walls & steel framed glazing. They deteriorate quite quickly without proper maintainance (we have one at the museum I volunteer at)

Also the plots tended to be relatively large compared to modern standards (they had gardens you could grow stuff in) so builders would buy them up & replace with high density houses when they could.

Latest posts

Back