Crown capper recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the thing with the leaver one i posted link to is it can cap any style of bottle no mater what its neck is like so you don't have to worry about the whitcwood bottle that the twin lever ones wont do

How does it cope with different heights of bottles? Does it need adjustment each time, or can it manage with a few centimetres difference either way? Unless I'm presort I end up with a mix of sizes from 22cm (Shepherd Neame) to 25cm (Sam Smiths) and some others up to 27cm.

I think some of the stand cappers claim to adjust automatically, but on mine you have a small button that you press and then release while sliding up a notch or down a notch. If you organise your bottles by height that's probably three adjustments per batch so wouldn't be an issue even on a manual. I find that mine will cope with differing heights of a cm or so without adjustment.

yea mine can be adjusted to any height i can throw at it i can move the caper part up and own with press of back button or tab then slide it up or down to fit
another thing you can do if you want to is make some pieces of wood the difference in size of bottle and put under smaller ones that way you don't have to move it up and down just slide wood under the bottle on shorter one

Fast Rack looks like a great idea, seems to be very difficult to find one in UK though. Plenty on eBay, but shipping cost from USA is a bit too much for me to swallow. Homebrew Online have sold out, so must be getting popular.

Got mine from brewuk . Co.uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Table-Top-Bench-Crown-Capper-Ferrari-Crimper-Bottler-For-Home-Brew-Beer-Bottles/351162510380?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D28111%26meid%3Df1dcc53b2ab849b0b2e529529be34ea6%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11472%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D390656167329&rt=nc

a doddle. really is.
just lubricate the cap mechanism to ensure an easy release. Not auto height changing, but you get into the habit of using the button to adjust everytime any way...
i set a bottle filling, cap and shake a bottle before its full. Its quick, effortless and seems to put less force on the bottle neck than the 2 handled jobbies, of which i put up with a Wilko's one, untill it became too hard to operate, probably as it was wearing out some where (after 9 months use, 1 brew a fortnight)

Since I started bottling last year I've been using a mate's steel twin lever capper like this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crown-Cap...ver-Home-Brew-Beer-HIGH-QUALITY-/390936562888 - then the other week I was in Wilkos and thought it was finally time to get my own, and got one of the ubiquitous black plastic cappers with a magnet holder like this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Youngs-Tw...own-Caps-Home-Brew-Beer-Bottles-/231017775162

I used that one for the first time tonight, and whilst it is lighter and a little more comfortable to use, it feels much more flimsy and seemed to struggle more with some styles of neck. Then I picked up a Wychwood bottle - which I normally just chuck in the recycle bin - that I hadn't noticed when sanitising them. Gave it a go and BANG - broken glass everywhere :( Fortunately it was just the neck, so no beer spilt, but with tiny shards all over I had to discard that one :( The issue comes down to the design of the clamp section of the capper. In the metal one in the first link there is a rubber grip (the two red 'C' bits at the bottom of the picture) but the black plastic capper just has a metal plate to do the job. This obviously concentrates the force on a much smaller area, so breakages seem more likely to me.

It was a bit of an impulse buy, but I'll put it down to experience and get the first link type for the next session.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I've been pondering over which capper to get for a while. I've now ordered that metal "high quality" model, thanks for the tip.

I'm in the process of changing all (170 or so) Coopers PET bottles to glass. I bought a wilko capper for a tenner with the intention of buying a bench capper near the end of the year.

I used the wilko capper for the first time this arvo and capped 18L/about 50bottles. It was really easy. The capper copped really well. I made sure not force it if it didn't want 'to go' (although that didn't really happen), it's didn't require much strength even though the handle are a lot shorter and stubbier than some i've seem on the web, and the cappers action was pretty smooth

I probably wouldn't cope with hobgobbo bottles but my initial impression is Im really pleased with it. Much better than screwing all those PET caps on by hand.

If it lasts and doesn't fall apart, don't think I'll bother with the bench capper

Yep, the wilko capper will have had it by then... I had one, lasted 9 months then became far too hard to operate. Felt like the bottle was going to smash every time...
I've got a ferrari bench capper, and boy is it easy. Best thing ive ever bought. Seriously.

i bottled my 4th brew last night with the wilko capper, and it does seem to be "sticking" sometimes. something not right with it. Is it the plastic starting to deform, or does it just need a bit of lube somewhere?

My Wilko capper worked fine for about 8-10 bottling sessions (I guess 400 bottles), but it has gone downhill quickly in the last month, struggling to cap even Weston Vintage Cider bottles which are normally a doddle. I've just bought one of the Better Brew metal ones that others have mentioned and it is MUCH better. It will even cap bottles that I was struggling to with the Wilko one (Badger, Aspen cider). Not sure what part wore on the Wilko one. The metal one needed a bit of oil on the multiple joints to work smoothly but hopefully it will last longer. Also the bit that grabs the neck of the bottle is plastic (nylon?) so less likely to damage the bottle. Will have to test it on other bottle like Fullers and Hobgoblin the the Wilko one didn't like.

Back