Czech Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm trying to get 2 brews on this weekend. No 1 is a Czech pils adapted from the Northern Brewer recipe.

10L

2100g Pilsner Malt
50g Caramalt
50g Acid malt

25g Saaz (AA 3.4) @60mins
14g Saaz @30mins
14g Saaz @15mins
1/2 whirlfloc @15mins

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.008
ABV: 5.3%
IBU: 36.3
SRM: 3.88

Initial fermentation will be 13°C then lagered at 3°C for a couple of weeks. I'm going to have to do my best to find some patience with this one..:lol:

I wouldn't do the 60 min. with Saaz. Not enough AA. You could use like 15 g of nugget or northern to get a better bittering.

Bugger. It's done now. I have some Northern Brewer in the fridge too!

Well, we live and learn, cheers for the heads up. :thumb: I know for next time.

But it'll turn out good. I like saaz. Finished a brew about a month ago and now it's starting to get drunk. Not bad. But I love cascade.

Today I bottled a fuggle brew but had to throw in a few grams of cascade into the hop tea. Had a bottling sample and loved it!!!

It's very hard to get hops in Japan. You guys are lucky.

Last edited:
It's very hard to get hops in Japan. You guys are lucky.[/QUOTE]
Could you grow your own?

I ended up having a bit of a nightmare with this one today. First I realised I didn't have an empty FV so a trip to wilko was needed. Easier said than done on miners gala day when theres brass bands wandering all over the place!

Then I somehow managed to smash my thermometer. I noticed the blue dye in the Starsan and the end was broke clean off! I sanitised the thermometer with a couple of other things in the FV and I'm fairly sure that it broke as I dumped the sanitiser out. So I'm also fairly sure there won't be any tiny shards of glass in the FV. I'm trying to decide if fairly sure is sure enough. :-?

I ended up having a bit of a nightmare with this one today. First I realised I didn't have an empty FV so a trip to wilko was needed. Easier said than done on miners gala day when theres brass bands wandering all over the place!

Then I somehow managed to smash my thermometer. I noticed the blue dye in the Starsan and the end was broke clean off! I sanitised the thermometer with a couple of other things in the FV and I'm fairly sure that it broke as I dumped the sanitiser out. So I'm also fairly sure there won't be any tiny shards of glass in the FV. I'm trying to decide if fairly sure is sure enough. :-?

If you have any doubt AT ALL! I'd bin the lot. A shame, I know but better than than a trip to A&E

If you have any doubt AT ALL! I'd bin the lot. A shame, I know but better than than a trip to A&E

I could always water the veg with it I suppose. I only wish I'd realised before I stuck a £5 packet of yeast in it!

Back