Diluting Wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished brew day, pitched the yeast and cleaned up but when I went inside to check the OG reading of the sample I took to write up my notes and realised I’ve overshot my predicted OG by quite a lot. Brewers friend predicted it to be 1.050 but it’s ended up at 1.060. I really don’t want a 6.5% lager. I’ve seen a few threads on this and it appears that diluting now might be better than doing so when it’s finished. I’ve just boiled 2 litres of water. Planning on pouring this in when it’s cooled down. Do you think that’ll work?

Yeah it's fine, I've done this ("liquoring back") several times, either with cooled boiled water or new unopened bottles of Tesco Ashbeck.

Just be mindful of a few things:
- If you're taking another gravity sample after you've diluted make sure it's properly mixed!
- Make sure your diluted wort is down to the correct temperature before pitching your yeast.

Just finished brew day, pitched the yeast and cleaned up but when I went inside to check the OG reading of the sample I took to write up my notes and realised I’ve overshot my predicted OG by quite a lot. Brewers friend predicted it to be 1.050 but it’s ended up at 1.060. I really don’t want a 6.5% lager. I’ve seen a few threads on this and it appears that diluting now might be better than doing so when it’s finished. I’ve just boiled 2 litres of water. Planning on pouring this in when it’s cooled down. Do you think that’ll work?
No problem and the maths is easy. I do it all the time for session beers, brewing a 12 to 15 litre batch to liquor back to 15 to 20 litres. Guinness, apparently, do it as a matter of course.

It will be OK just do try not to liquor back too much as it is at the expense of body in the beer and will thin it out but 2 litres should be ok athumb..

I quite often misjudge my boil off and end up with maybe a litre less than expected (I do 9L batches) and have taken to just topping up with water, and It doesn’t seem to have had a negative effect.

Ok, thanks everyone

I added 2 litres cooled boiled water, only because of quite high chlorine in my tap water and a worry about infection. Brewers friend suggested this would bring my OG down to 1.053 so I’ll just assume there or there abouts rather than dipping stuff in to get a true reading. I’ll be happy if it ends up circa 5.5% and still tastes ok.

Post-boil wort dilution is normal practice in commercial brewing. It is easier to dilute boiled wort to hit the desired gravity than to increase the dissolved sugar content through post-boil additions or a longer boil.

At the brewery where I help out,we use potable cooling water from the plate heat- exchanger to sparge the hop-bed and recover entrained wort.

Latest posts

Back