Dry hopping....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob11TC

Reaction score
Hi all, been getting really confused when reading up on dry hopping. So I have an English IPA that's 1 week into fermenting, according to my rapt pill its been at FG for 2 days. Used Mangrove Jack's M42 yeast at 20c. SG reading for pill matched hydrometer. It's in a 30l all rounder.
Never dry hopped before and recipe is 55g progress 4 days. Going to cold crash too.
Is now the time to dry hop and then start to cold crash after 4 days, or should I not leave as long before cold crashing? Been reading about hop creep etc and now thinking don't bother with dry hops in future....
Thank you

Hi Rob reading up is good but as you have said it can confuse some brewers as there are several methods used and no one brewer seems to agree when to do it.
Myself I do it after day 4 when fermentation is still active but what you have suggested goes with what other brewers do so dry hop now for 4 days then drop the temp to cold crash, I also advocate using a hop bag but others don't so you can see where this is going regards conflicting advice.
Just do as you have suggested yourself and do not worry about hop creep as it does not happen that often and is not a real issue anyway.
Ps if you use a hop bag you can remove them when it suits and if hop creep has become a issue to you, to me it isn't it is just like a secondary fermentation that's all.

Thank you. Haven't got any hop bags so they are going in lose. Hopefully cold crash will drop them out.
If they do start to ferment again, do I just leave it a bit longer before cold crashing?

Yes the way you are doing it as a later dry hop you could throw them in lose as you are going straight to a cold crash and they should drop out.
For next time if you want to use a bag go to the supermarket and get those re-usable fruit/veg bags for about 30p they can be used several times and are reasonably big to allow utilisation of the hops

Yes the way you are doing it as a later dry hop you could throw them in lose as you are going straight to a cold crash and they should drop out.
For next time if you want to use a bag go to the supermarket and get those re-usable fruit/veg bags for about 30p they can be used several times and are reasonably big to allow utilisation of the hops
Aldi & Lidl both sell them.

Latest posts

Back