E Lincs coast area water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
We are looking at relocating to the E Lincs coast, I know from a recent stay near Chapel St Leonard’s the water is very hard. Anyone here live in the area and can give any practical advice please? I brew mainly Kölsch, Neipa and IPA styles.

I live in East Lindsey. My water is very hard. My advice would be acid. Lots of it. :laugh8:

If you are relocating to near Chapel, your water will come from Covenham, which is a mohassive reservoir about 20 miles North of there. Confusingly though, the res won't supply your water (it was built to supply the industry on the south bank of the Humber, although now provides water for parts of Boston) it will come from a bore hole on the same site that is fed from a natural aquifer. So it's lovely mineral rich, but very hard, water.

I use phosphoric acid to lower mash pH and this works well for me. I didn't have so much success with AMS / CRS and I put that down to the fact that the sulphuric and other acids end up adding even more minerals to already very mineral rich water, but this may well be compete nonsense. Phosphoric works well for me.

I brew historical pales, modern golden ales, and traditional IPAs without issue. I have even been n own to brew the odd lager / Kolsch.

Hope that helps. I'm happy to bore you to death about the area all day long if you need any more info. athumb..

I live in East Lindsey. My water is very hard. My advice would be acid. Lots of it. :laugh8:

If you are relocating to near Chapel, your water will come from Covenham, which is a mohassive reservoir about 20 miles North of there. Confusingly though, the res won't supply your water (it was built to supply the industry on the south bank of the Humber, although now provides water for parts of Boston) it will come from a bore hole on the same site that is fed from a natural aquifer. So it's lovely mineral rich, but very hard, water.

I use phosphoric acid to lower mash pH and this works well for me. I didn't have so much success with AMS / CRS and I put that down to the fact that the sulphuric and other acids end up adding even more minerals to already very mineral rich water, but this may well be compete nonsense. Phosphoric works well for me.

I brew historical pales, modern golden ales, and traditional IPAs without issue. I have even been n own to brew the odd lager / Kolsch.

Hope that helps. I'm happy to bore you to death about the area all day long if you need any more info. athumb..
Thank you, very helpful. Interestingly my local water report is barely any different to a sample postcode in Chapel St Leonard’s. We use a filter jug for all our kettle water, but don’t recall a quick fill from the tap causing scummy tea as we had in our recent holiday let.

Latest posts

Back