Electric apple scratters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Bell

Reaction score
I currently have a 20 litre press and a manual scratter - but I'm thinking of upgrading to an electric scratter to cope with a huge number of apples this year. Any advice, please, about what sort to buy? Also, would an electric press be a good idea as well? Would it be more efficient than a manual one? I reckon my manual press is only about 40% efficient - that is, for 100 kg of apples, I get around 40 litres of juice.

I've read numerous posts on the different forums, where the adaptation of a waste disposal sink unit works wonders.
I myself re-built a German made beast of a garden shredder that someone threw out, but haven't used it for apples as yet.

I would love something like this, but I’m not allowed to do that part of the process at home. Has to be done at the allotment :-(

My re-purposed sink and waste disposal unit:

07 scratter.JPG

I bought an unused Bosch garden shredder on FB Marketplace for £40. It was a bit of a bargain!
Worked a treat. Took a bit of cleaning at the end but two of us cleaned apples and produced 45 litres of juice in 4 hours including cleaning up afterwards. Had to chop the apples in half to get them in the feeder chute, but could have cut off part of the guard to make the job even quicker.

Back