End of the road for Sky+ HD as Sky Q box becomes standard

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I gave up on Sky HD a while ago and switched to a Humax Freesat HD box and have no regrets, £54 per month (not including instillation) for the basic package is taking the Pish.

With Q, Sky really has never been better, but it has also never been more expensive. If that’s the elephant in the room, it’s a pretty sizeable one.

All the possible package permutations are dizzying but the most basic Sky Q Silver one is £54 per month, plus £99 for installation - that’s £18 per month more than a basic Sky HD package.
That setup fee rises to £299 if you don’t sign up for the Sport and/or Movies package (both together is an extra £34.50 a month, just movies is £17, just sports £25.50), or commit to Sky Broadband.

For that you only get one Mini box, to add a second it’s another £99. Plus you don’t get to keep the boxes if you decide not to renew.

That means if you're thinking of upgrading now, you probably need an Ultra HD TV to get the most out of it. Sky's 4K content is included in the price, so you're missing out if you can't take advantage.

You also need plenty of screens and enough sets of eyes to point at them. This isn’t a system that you’ll get the most out of in a one-bedroom flat.

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/sky/q/review#WSDQCpTDExC8Vfif.99

I just swapped to virgin media and have added some extra things to my new package with virgin that I never had with sky And I'm still saving £45 a month by swapping

It's all about freesat and Kodi for me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's all about freesat and Kodi for me.

We have both Freeveiew and Freesat in the living-room as we got tired of picture break up in summer on the Freeview box, the weather seems to effect freeview terribly here some days (its much better in winter) it is a well known problem and there is as far as i know (and i have searched a lot) nothing you can do about it, Freesat on the other hand rarely has any problems and its satisfying you are using the Sky dish to watch TV.

My £10 a month year deal as just come to an end. Time to cancel - agajn

I've just started my second consecutive "please don't leave us" 50% off TV and discounted line rental deal. I phone up every year to "move to Virgin" (quoting the lates Virgin deal) and always come away with something, although it took until 4days from the end of my Virgin cooling-off period for them to offer me the first 50% package.

I've just started my second consecutive "please don't leave us" 50% off TV and discounted line rental deal. I phone up every year to "move to Virgin" (quoting the lates Virgin deal) and always come away with something, although it took until 4days from the end of my Virgin cooling-off period for them to offer me the first 50% package.

I originally ha 12 months for £11.50 but when that run out I said I wanted it cheaper and they came back with £10 for 12 months but for the first month they charged me wrong and ended up having two months free.

I have just removed several post that broke the forum rules, can we keep the thread within the rules thanks.

My wife deals with the sky but she is also due to leave and wait for the retentions team to call a few days before the end.

Tbh I would move to virgin but it actually isn't any cheaper and I actually hate their tevo box interface.. Inlaws have it, skys is so much nicer..

My wife deals with the sky but she is also due to leave and wait for the retentions team to call a few days before the end.

Tbh I would move to virgin but it actually isn't any cheaper and I actually hate their tevo box interface.. Inlaws have it, skys is so much nicer..
Only at full price (in fact, full price they are slightly more expensive), they almost constantly have new customer offers of 50% off for the first 9 (or last time I threatened to leave Sky it was 12 months half price on a 12 month contract), which makes a pretty good bargaining chip for getting a good deal with Sky (or a good deal to stay with virgin - "I'll leave for Sky which is slightly cheaper, then come back in a year for a new customer offer")

Next year I'll be trying to get a new box out of Sky as mine is coming up for 5 years old.

I wouldn't pay a penny for tv anymore ,i cancelled sky five years ago and i watch the free channels through the dish and box and get BT sports for free through our broadband deal and we have a "firestick"?
TV is mostly a load of **** anyway.
Although just watched three good dvd,s
The Hurt Locker
Concussion
Revenant

I havent got a TV. I have no idea what any of you guys are talking about :lol:

76eef3f626b61f1a48225a60b6b333ab5f5b93a8aafcf969fecc38061f210589.jpg

Post above deleted.

Using kodi is not illegal but using it to watch EPL is and discussing it is also against the forum rules, again i ask members not to discuss using devices which bypass subscription services to access pay to view T.V.

Latest posts

Back