Fascade Bitter :D AG #2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakk_P

Reaction score
Good morning brewers,

I'm going to be brewing my 2nd AG brew today. I plan on brewing a HobGoblin clone next week and would like it to age well, and seeing as I am rather quick to drink my brews, I'm brewing this today to stop me from breaking into the Goblin too soon.

I am looking to ferment this over 4-5 days, then drop to 8'c for 2, then rack and secondary for another 2-3 then condition for a week.

I know it may still taste green, but I am just using up some scraps and experimenting as to how quick I can go from grain to glass, and have an acceptable beer to see me through the aging of others.

So anyway, I just chucked together this recipe which I'm hoping will just be a nice simple bitter, using the spare ingredients I have in my inventory.

So, without further ado this is my Fascade Bitter :D

Batch Size: 18l
Mash temp: 68'c
Yeast: Safale s-04

Grain bill:

2.7kg Pale Malt
0.5kg Crystal
0.2kg carapils

Boil:

cascade (9.2%) 15g 60 min
Fuggles (4.5%) 10g 30 min
Fuggles (4.5%) 10g 15 min
Protofloc (1/4 tab) 15 min
cascade (9.2%) 20g 0 min

Beersmith est:

1.036 OG

29.4 IBU

19.2 EBC

3.7% ABV

I'm going to rehydrate the s-04 using 115ml boiled water cooled to 27'c. Pitch then ferment at 20'c for 4 days, then rack to secondary after it has dropped to ~1.010 and raise temp to 22'c, then, after a few days, condition at 15'c for a bout a week.

I'm just treating the water (30l, 1/4 campden) and measuring the ingredients.

Ill try and post some pictures, and keep you all updated.

Cheers! :cheers:

Jack

Ok, yesterday's early start turned into a late finish, thanks to the disappearance of some of my necessary tools, but anyway :)

Q5wiPrCl.jpg

All ingredients set up, and ready to go,

Mx6YHcql.jpg

Mash tun after first runnings, I was VERY impressed with my tun on this batch. Over the hour I lost 0.3'c which I thought was very good :)

BvpNqiYl.jpg

First runnings looking nice and clear!

zO409R5l.jpg

First runnings in the boiler

OzuHgvBl.jpg

boiled and cooled wort, ready to pitch.

Wort come out slightly higher than I expected at ~1.040

I also rehydrated my s-04 for the first time which made a nice frothy cream to pitch, though this morning the FV isn't bubbling, though this happened on my last batch; No bubbles entire primary, yet it fermented from .054 down to .08 in a few days. Maybe my FV lid is letting gas out. So no bubbles yet but the lid is risen and there is quite a bit of sediment so fermentation is happening none the less.

I shall test in a few days and see what I have.

Latest posts

Back