Final Gravity and Temperature Control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake122

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian Blonde with M41 and it's reached expected FG in 5 days. There's still some airlock activity so I suspect it's still got a wee bit to go before completely finishing out.
The temperature was set at 24C throughout using an Inkbird and heatbelt.

I'll leave the beer in the fermenter for another 9 days as I normally wait for a full 14 days before bottling.

Is there any need to maintain the 24C temperature once it's completely finished?
If I remove the heatbelt, the temperature will drop to room temperature as i'm fermenting in my utility room.

How far apart are the airlock burps?
If they are more than 30-40 seconds apart it could be CO2 formed during fermentation coming out of suspension.

Just timed them and they're about 12 seconds apart at the moment.

I leave at fermentation temp until it’s completely finished. I’ll then drop to 15 degs if dry hopping or just set to 1 degrees if going straight to cold crash.

Dropped another point overnight, so not finished out yet.
A bubble every 12 seconds is still in the trail tail stages of fermentation.

I've found that a bubble per minute will still drop an SG point over a day or two. I consider "no bubbles in 5 minutes" to be finished fermenting as a rule of thumb, but always check by measuring the wort

Thanks, will wait and leave it at 24C. Once I'm sure it's done, I'll remove the heatbelt and leave the temp to fall to room temp. I don't have any means of cold crashing at the moment.

I also use Kveik from time to time at higher temperatures so I assume the same principle would apply with this too - once it's done, remove the heatbelt.

Latest posts

Back