Finings/Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abag

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am pretty new to all this so forgive me if I ask a few naive questions:

I have a kit currently fermenting (Woodforde's Wherry Bitter) and am wanting to bottle it when it is ready.
I used this kit a month ago and kegged it with some priming sugar and it turned out pretty well, but a little cloudy.

With the future brew I am interested in experimenting with finings (isinglass potentially) to try and get a really clear beer. My plan was to mix my priming
sugar with water add this to the keg, then syphon my brew from the fermentation bin to the keg add the finings and then bottle a few hours later,
when they have done their job. However I wonder if all the yeast is removed will the beer still carbonate in the bottles?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

abag

Your order is a bit **** about face. What I do is to add the finings at the end of fermentation (direct into the primary fermenter), with a gentle stirring . . . leave it for a few days (probably around 10 days in total). Then I rack to keg. . . . In your case to your bottling bucket on top of the priming solution. . . . then bottle.

If you do it your way you will end up with a very loose sediment in the bottle which will make pouring very difficult.

There should be no problem with getting carbonation even using finings, as even clear 'real ale' still contains some yeast in suspension.

Cheers for the advice, will try it that way.

Don't mind cloudy beer, but its for a party and convincing people that cloudy beer is OK is way too much hastle!

Latest posts

Back