First AG Brew - BIAB HBC Exceedingly Good IPA Citra

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the best ways to "minimise" trub is to either do some whirlpool when you go from kettle to FV with a syphon.. or leave it to settle in your kettle and then if use a tap drain it into your FV and do not tilt it, the dead space will have a lot of the break material in.. I find teh more I try and tip.. the more trub I get..

it isn't any great shakes anyway.. cooling /crashing your brew after fermenting will aid compacting it and as @tony1951 says.. if you syphon carefully you can again minimise it.. what I find is hold the syphon against the wall of the FV towards you, as it goes down gently tilt it towards you leaving the tip close to the bottom.. It can be quite tricky but works well.

.. if you syphon carefully you can again minimise it.. what I find is hold the syphon against the wall of the FV towards you, as it goes down gently tilt it towards you leaving the tip close to the bottom.. It can be quite tricky but works well.

That's EXACTLY how I do it.

I'd never heard of Whirlpooling until now and a quick Google search has confused me even more!

Think for the next batch I'll see how I get on with the hop strainer and sieve. I may leave the wort in the boiler to see if it settles but how long would that take as I thought the idea was to chill it as soon as possible?

Great help and advice on this forum so cheers everyone.

I'd never heard of Whirlpooling until now and a quick Google search has confused me even more!

Think for the next batch I'll see how I get on with the hop strainer and sieve. I may leave the wort in the boiler to see if it settles but how long would that take as I thought the idea was to chill it as soon as possible?

Great help and advice on this forum so cheers everyone.

A hop strainer fitted to back of the tap and sieve will sort things nicely Ian. Chill the wort as normal (you are right ideally should be chilled quickly) then just leave for 10 mins to settle in the boiler. Then open the tap to transfer to FV. The hop debris which will have settled around the hop strainer acts as a good natural filter ensuring most of the trub gets left in the boiler (and the tap won't clog).

So the time has come to test this. The bottles were left in the house to condition/carbonate for two weeks and then moved to the garage. I tried the first bottle after a week in the garage.

I must admit I was hoping for a more hoppy aroma than I got given the additional dry hopping the beer had. The appearance wasn't as clear as I was hoping for but not really a concern.

What is noticeable though is the lack of head the beer had (see photo). It's not overly carbonated (I used 80g of granulated sugar for around 16 litres) but it looks flat and doesn't line the glass at all. The only think I did differently when bottling previous kits was use StarSan rather than soaking bottles in Wilko's steriliser. Could this have anything to do with this?

Taste wise it's very nice and very drinkable. Even the wife likes it which is good but does mean I get to drink less of it.

2016-02-06 21.03.44.jpg

Looks not too bad Ian.

Re: the priming.

Your amount of sugar for 16l sounds about right.

Did you mix the priming sugar with a little boiling water to dissolve to make a gloopy solution ? Did you stir your primed beer in the bottling bucket to distribute the priming sugar fairly evenly throughout your 16l of beer ?

Was the house quite warm where you had the bottles carbing up - ie, 19-20°C ?

You may have some bottles carbed better than others, if you didn't stir in the bottling bucket.

The carbing will improve with a bit more time in the bottle but the above is my initial thoughts.

I do as Covrich and Tony but if you do stir it up a bit I've found if you pour the trub into a 2 or 3L pop bottle and leave for a day or so the trub will settle and you can salvage another pint or so off the top.:thumb:

Looks not too bad Ian.

Re: the priming.

Your amount of sugar for 16l sounds about right.

Did you mix the priming sugar with a little boiling water to dissolve to make a gloopy solution ? Did you stir your primed beer in the bottling bucket to distribute the priming sugar fairly evenly throughout your 16l of beer ?

Was the house quite warm where you had the bottles carbing up - ie, 19-20°C ?

You may have some bottles carbed better than others, if you didn't stir in the bottling bucket.

The carbing will improve with a bit more time in the bottle but the above is my initial thoughts.

Yeah, sugar was dissolved in boiling water and then added to the beer as it was being syphoned to a second FV in advance of bottling. Some gentle stirring to start with but not a lot. Basically the same technique I used when doing kits.

The temperature in the house would have been about 20°C, may be a bit cooler overnight.

Will have to slow down my drinking of it to see if it improves :D

Latest posts

Back