First all-grain, bit of a nightmare

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IainM

Landlord.
Reaction score
So my HBC BIAB starter kit arrived yesterday, complete with HBC Belgian Triple AG kit, where I'm staying with my parents over the Easter holidays. I was planning to wait and do the first AG brew back home, but opened the box and saw the bag had split, with about 1kg of crushed grain sprinkled around the box. I wasn't going to let it go stale on me, and this was the perfect excuse for being impatient and doing my first AG at the earliest possible opportunity. So, I found a brand new homebrewonline starter kit on ebay, normally �£50, got it for a tenner! Picked it up last night for today’s impromptu BIAB#1 brew day in the sun.

All started well, got 20l to 72C, put the bag in above the 'false bottom' (wire cooling rack), stirred in the grain gradually without clumps, and got a nice mash temp of 65C. Covered with towels and mashed for 90 mins, stirring every 30, and it kept its temperature well. Pulled the bag, sparged in the fv, and ended up with 22l of delicious sweet wort. Wow, tastes so much better from fresh grain than extract ever has!

2zj9vv5.jpg

Chucked in the candi sugar rocks, took it to a rolling boil, followed the hop addition schedule exactly, and added half a whirlfloc at 5mins from the end. So far, so good.

2vumryw.jpg

Chilling it was a pain. Got down to 40C pretty quickly, but then it slowed down a lot. This is when it started to go wrong. The flies were buzzing about, and one found its way to the wort (ugh). At this point, I also realised that the hop filter had been dislodged from the tap, so the tap clogged pretty much immediately. Ended up putting the wort through a colander, with fairly large holes, so all the proteins and stuff that had coagulated into 'clouds' in the boiler in the pic above ended up in the fv. Should've used the BIAB bag to strain it instead, but I forgot about it! Doh. I hope this drops out properly when I cold crash later on. It did start to seperate in the fv, which is encouraging:

qybzbo.jpg

Anyway, got 18l in the fv with OG of 1.080! Nice, definitely around the Belgian Triple mark. Pitched with Safbrew T-85 at 24C, as I was in a bit of a hurry, then I realised I hadn't aerated it. Oops. Took the paddle to it once the yeast had already dropped from the surface. Hope I didn't disturb the little critters too much, and I still reckon I haven't aerated it enough. Oh well. Who knows, perhaps the stress of low oxygen and being thrashed with a paddle will help them make nice fruity Belgian flavours. Either that or they'll just munch the candi sugar and give up before eating the maltose haha. Overall, BIAB#1 didn't exactly go smoothly, and I ended up with very hazy wort with lots of sediment, and a fly (I did skim it out!), but the trial jar tastes damn good. It could've been worse, and it was definitely a learning experience. I'm looking forward to BIAB#2 in April. I've found a brew-buddy who had been doing kits on and off for 15 years, and we've organised a brew day and BBQ if the weather holds out.

You'll always get proteins through to the FV unless you whirlpool so don't worry about that. With any luck the rogue fly won't be a problem. Not much you can do about it now, so just sit back and wait. I just hope your yeast can cope with the OG.

Dave

I have the same FV. Don't worry if your airlock isn't showing any activity. The seal round the lid and the airlock grommet aren't air tight. You should be able to see krausen forming thought the white opaque plastic. Just try to resist the urge to open the FV. Im sure it will turn out fine!

If you can get some more of the same yeast quickly you might want to chuck another packet in there as 1.080 is quite a high OG and I'm not sure 1 Pack will do the job

If you can get some more of the same yeast quickly you might want to chuck another packet in there as 1.080 is quite a high OG and I'm not sure 1 Pack will do the job

Actually, I did have one to hand as I also ordered the Belgian Dubbel kit, which came with the same yeast. I've just pitched it, even though there was already a good three inches of krausen.

Don't worry it was only your first go. Complain about the split bag.

My hop strainer is always falling off my peco boiler. I think it would be aerated enough from the transfer from boiler to FV. I don't aerate mine any further and never have issues.

Well, two packs of yeast have certainly had no problem munching through this batch. The temp shot up to 26C over the first night, well above ambient, and stayed there for another day. My parents house stinks :oops:. This morning it had dropped to a more reasonable 22/23C. SG had dropped from 1.080 to 1.018, giving it an abv over 8% after only 36 hours! Trial jar has definitely got some Belgian smells hiding behind the strong smell of raw alcohol. I've got a feeling this is going to take a long time to condition, but it will be a beast.

Just did BIAB#2, the HBC belgian dubbel kit. Followed pretty much the same procedure. The hop fliter stayed in this time, but didn't drain, so I ended up having to pass the wort through a sieve again. Luckily, I had a brew buddy with me this time, which makes it a lot easier. Chilled it properly this time, and pitched at a more reasonable 20C. Overall, I'm a lot happier with AG2 than the first one. Got 21 litres with OG of 1.078, so pitched two packets of T58 again. I'm looking forward to tasting them together and seeing the difference the 6C of fermentation temperature makes. Pretty sure I'll prefer the dubbel.

Just did BIAB#2, the HBC belgian dubbel kit. Followed pretty much the same procedure. The hop fliter stayed in this time, but didn't drain, so I ended up having to pass the wort through a sieve again. Luckily, I had a brew buddy with me this time, which makes it a lot easier. Chilled it properly this time, and pitched at a more reasonable 20C. Overall, I'm a lot happier with AG2 than the first one. Got 21 litres with OG of 1.078, so pitched two packets of T58 again. I'm looking forward to tasting them together and seeing the difference the 6C of fermentation temperature makes. Pretty sure I'll prefer the dubbel.
Which hopfilter do you have, the copper one with an elbow and drilled holes?
If so, I'd been having similar intermittent issues. I BIAB, but use a Stockport for the mash and then dump into peco for the boil.
Made sure, this week, that it was in as solidly as possibly before anything got into the peco, had it lying in the half way up position or on its side. All drained smoothly apart from loss to crud below tap level.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Which hopfilter do you have, the copper one with an elbow and drilled holes?
If so, I'd been having similar intermittent issues. I BIAB, but use a Stockport for the mash and then dump into peco for the boil.
Made sure, this week, that it was in as solidly as possibly before anything got into the peco, had it lying in the half way up position or on its side. All drained smoothly apart from loss to crud below tap level.

Yes, that's the one. I did have it so that the elbow pointed down from the tap. Will try orienting it sideways next time to see if it makes a difference. Still, I'm a bit surprised. The Dubble wasn't a hoppy beer at all, so it must have been the crud which the whirlfloc precipitated out during the cold break. Even the sieve got blocked when pouring it into the fv.

Back