First All Grain Brew Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was going to do a SMASH biab brew, but ended up with extra stuff in the basket and I'm trying work out how best to use it.

I'm currently planning to do the following which is basically half of what I've got except for the hop pellets I've got some challenger pellets too so I was going to do another batch with those.

Any tips or advice is welcome.

Mash 6L @ 67°c for 60 mins

1.5kg Maris Otter Pale
250g Aromatic Malt
250g Torrefied Wheat

Mash 6L @ 67°c for 60 mins (strike temp 74°c)
Batch/Dunk Sparge 9l @ 74°c for 20 Mins (80°c)

Boil for 60 Mins
Hop Additions
5g Citra US Pellets at 5 minutes
7g Citra US Pellets at 55 minutes

Other Additions
1/2 Protofloc Tablet at 45 minutes

Yeast
5g US-05 yeast pitched at 20°c

Looks good. What's your intended batch size?

Are you putting in more citra at the start or the end of the boil? Looks like you might be putting the 5g in at the start and the 7g in at the end but when you're reading recipes hop additions usually use the time *left* in the boil, so your additions should be written as:
5g Citra 55 mins (left)
1/2 Protofloc 15 mins (left)
7g Citra 5 mins (left)

Good luck!

Looks good. What's your intended batch size?

Are you putting in more citra at the start or the end of the boil? Looks like you might be putting the 5g in at the start and the 7g in at the end but when you're reading recipes hop additions usually use the time *left* in the boil, so your additions should be written as:
5g Citra 55 mins (left)
1/2 Protofloc 15 mins (left)
7g Citra 5 mins (left)

Good luck!

Aiming for 10-11 litres, when i get round to it.

Have you calculated boil off? Asking as I aim for 10-11L in the fermenter as well but I'll use a total of 19-20L depending on the grain bill (you'll lose water into the grain too).

Have you calculated boil off? Asking as I aim for 10-11L in the fermenter as well but I'll use a total of 19-20L depending on the grain bill (you'll lose water into the grain too).

I hadn't when I did the original calculations, but every day is school day when you are starting to brew. I'm about 2-3 litres short in my calculation, Assuming water to grain ration 2.6:1 in the initial mash thats about 5.2 litres in the mash, so if called that 6 and added 2 litres to the sparge I reckon that would be about right.

Latest posts

Back