First brew for 10 years

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navin

Reaction score
Completed my first all-grain brew for over10 years.

It was also the first outing for the new tower brewery set up from Hamstead Homebrewing centre, now there's not a lot of room in my garage as it's got to compete with my bikes and woodworking equipment

P2072868.jpg

P2072869.jpg

I cleared a bit of wall and floor space and it fits right in

P1242845.jpg

I opted to use the insulated mash tun that I had just built up instead of the heated MT supplied with the brewery. This was made using a 5 US gallon Igloo cylindrical cooler, a 9” stainless steel false bottom from Hop & Grape, and taps etc from polyplumb – all push fit.

P2072867.jpg

I used water from our softened water supply for both sparge and mash - I haven't tested yet, maybe for future brews.

For my first brew I went for a Brupaks Yorkshire bitter mash kit. I filled the HLT with the Mash volume of 11 Litres plus dead space and switched on. It reached strike temp 72 degrees very quickly.
Once at strike temp I opened the tap from the HLT and drained into MT, this was a bit slow so I will probably add an extra tap with a bigger bore for the next brew. I had kept the malt indoors overnight to keep its temperature up and it was 16 degrees at doughing in (when I got it out f the garage the previous evening it was only 6 degrees) I thought I was doughing in fairly carefully but I had quite a few dry pockets that needed breaking up with a stainless spatula)
With a temp probe in and lid on the temp registered 66 degrees. It remained at 66 for the entire 90 minutes.

P1242848.jpg

P1242847.jpg

Whilst the mash was going on I added the rest of the water 23 Litres and switched on the HLT with about 40 minutes to go. It just made it to sparge heat by the time the mash was finished.
I assembled the spinning sparge arm using the push fit connectors and centered it above the MT.
First litre of wort had bits in but it soon cleared and I jugged this back onto the mash. Sparging went reasonably well but as the head of water from the HLT reduced the arm stopped spinning, there wasn’t any noticeable channeling and I kept a little water on top of the mash and it kept draining well.

P1242851.jpg

I drained directly into the boiler and put the heater on as soon as the element was covered,

P124285212-40-08.jpg

The final volume collected was 28 litres and it came to the boil pretty quickly. Addition of the hops created some foaming but not enough to get a boil over and the element kept a rolling boil for the full 90 minutes.

P1242853.jpg

There was about 25 litres left at the end of the boil

At the end of the boil I let it sit for a few minutes then chilled using an S/S immersion chiller coil. Wort to 20 degrees then dropped into fermenter. About 2 litres left in the boiler, trub and hops, so Fermenter volume was 23 litres. Gravity of the bitter wort was 1038.
I pitched the supplied yeast which I had made up as a starter 48 hours earlier and it’s fermented away happily.
First 4 days in bucket type fermenter the dropped to closed fermenter for 3 days FG 1008, added finings and put in the garage overnight, it dropped bright. Racked into a Corny keg added CO2 and left for 3 days

Drink, great head very hoppy flavour, slight chill haze straight from the garage, clear at room temperature.

P2062856.jpg

IMPROVEMENTS
think the HLT needs a bigger tap, and I'm going to add a sight tube.

cheers

Love the set up and the tools Navin, is that a morticer I see next to the drill press. Spinny sparge arm and an igloo tunn :mrgreen:

Thanks for the post Navin, I've heard a few things about Hamstead's tower setup but haven't seen one in action yet.

Navin said:
now there's not a lot of room in my garage as it's got to compete with my bikes and woodworking equipment
Some people never know when they are well off.
Your garage is more than twice the size of mine and I have to fit a car in! (just kidding)

Very impressive brewday and pics, did the spinner come with the kit or was it bought seperately?

Very impressive set up, Navin great set up and pictures.

Now then when can you come and Tidy my garage up and sort it like yours, cos mine looks like a Hurricane been through it, especially on brewday's water everywhere!

UP

Thanks for all the replies,

I've got two other non-work activities; Ironman triathlon, hence the bikes, and woodworking, hence the tools. the other side of the garage looks like this

P2192870.jpg

The Hamstead tower set up comes with the metal stand which is pretty sturdy, I have no qualms about having 5 gallons of hot water on the top.
The HLT, Mash tun (which I'll use in the next brew) and Boiler each have a 3kW element fitted and they are pre-set to 70 degrees (HLT) 66 degrees (MT) and rolling boil (boiler).
There is an adjustment screw on the elements so I can adjust the temps if necessary.

The rotating sparge arm arrangement was included.

Improvements;- I think the HLT tap needs to be a bigger bore as it took a while to empty into the mash tun

I've added a sight glass to the HLT which makes it easier gauge the volume

P2192871.jpg

The other major improvement I've got to make is to add an extractor fan somewhere near the boiler, it was like a fog in there and I don't want to rust all my tools!

cheers

Good looking brewday!
Welcome back to the dark side :thumb:
Was it like riding a bike or was there a bit of revision needed before hand?

Latest posts

Back