First real larger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbrewer1

Reaction score
Hi
Just looking for abit of advice

So earlier this is year I did my first home brew, a pseudo larger “Geordies larger” extract kit
Turned out pretty good

So I thought i would try a making the same but better
So I my recipe was
1x Geordies larger” extract kit
500g brewing sugar
500g light spray malt
2 x sachet of dry M76 Bavarian lager yeast
OG 1.056
My plan is to leave in primary for 2-3 weeks then bottle (secondary in bottle)

It’s been fermenting for past 5 day at 8-14 degrees

The odd thing is very little activity in the airlock but definitely the fermentor is bulging
Hydrometer has dropped to 1.016
So seems to be active

I gave it a taste, it’s pretty bland
Not much flavour at all

Will the larger improve with time and bottling ?
Should I get some hop extract to add in to improve flavour?

Any advice would be appreciated

I'm not much of a extract Brewer but I think adding 50% of the fermentables as sugar is probably causing the lackluster flavour. That said lager does take some time lagering to really hit it's stride.

You could always add hop extract or a hop tea to add some hop flavour.

Thanks

I did the same extract kit earlier this year but with 1kg of brewing sugar turned out pretty nice
I used the yeast provide which I understand is technically a ale yeast

I figured I would dry with actual larger yeast and light malt extract would turn out even better

I maybe overthinking and just need to give it some time to fully ferment and condition
I’m hoping to have some ready for Xmas

Lager is all about storing, I believe, so when its ready put in bottles and forget about it till Santa comes..
You may be pleasantly surprised

Thanks

I did the same extract kit earlier this year but with 1kg of brewing sugar turned out pretty nice
I used the yeast provide which I understand is technically a ale yeast

I figured I would dry with actual larger yeast and light malt extract would turn out even better

I maybe overthinking and just need to give it some time to fully ferment and condition
I’m hoping to have some ready for Xmas
Ale yeast adds a lot of character where lager yeast is pretty neutral flavour wise. It could make a difference. Definitely let it sit for a while and then reassess. Usually you want to be in the 10-20% range for sugar, more is said to thin a beer out too much.

I've done a couple of all-grain lager brews. Both tasted very bland at the bottling stage (1-2 weeks fermentation plus a month cold maturing). But they were better after ageing a bit. The first brew has all gone and the next is 'ready' tomorrow!

Back