Flat It's a Trapp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like what you are saying interestingly a friend of mine did the same kit which again ended up at 9%ABV
Not the first time on here, that I've seen a MM Belgian beer recipe not repeat, for whatever reason.

Wyeast give 74 - 78% attenuation for that yeast, they suggest. You achieved 74%. Their figures calculate to 85%?

For some reason they put less fermentable Munich, Aromatic or caramunich in the kits, that the beers they are apparently clones of, don't have in. A classic example is their Dupont clone that has four malts, for a Saison that is famously 100% Dingmans pilsner malt.

Also with this one, Sint Bernardus Abt 12 is only 10%, not 11.9%. Which also makes this trickier to brew than it ought to be.

Last edited:
Not the first time on here, that I've seen a MM Belgian beer recipe not repeat, for whatever reason.

Wyeast give 74 - 78% attenuation for that yeast, they suggest. You achieved 74%. Their figures calculate to 85%?

For some reason they put less fermentable Munich, Aromatic or caramunich in the kits, that the beers they are apparently clones of, don't have in. A classic example is their Dupont clone that has four malts, for a Saison that is famously 100% Dingmans pilsner malt.

Also with this one, Sint Bernardus Abt 12 is only 10%, not 11.9%. Which also makes this trickier to brew than it ought to be.
So take what they say with a pinch of yeast as the saying goes.

The MM recipe has 1.6kg sugar in 19l so I would expect a higher attenuation than the quoted range which is for all malt.

I also have an under carbonated quad in the garage from January so I’m not surprised by the issue. It’s not entirely flat it just accumulated factors that didn’t favour refermentation in the bottle.

The MM recipe has 1.6kg sugar in 19l so I would expect a higher attenuation than the quoted range which is for all malt.
True, but 85% attenuation is more than Sint Bernadus get with a slightly longer mash, 20% sugar and a more fermentable grist. And more importantly the experience of brewing the same high gravity beer, thousands of times.

However, the post was more an observation on repeatability, where there's clearly an issue. For less experienced brewers (possibly those more likely to buy an AG kit) the recipe doesn't do any favours being more complicated and higher abv than the beer being cloned. Presumably, repeat business is dependent on successful a result.

Getting back to the issue of carbonation. Flicking through Brew Like A Monk, all the Trappiste breweries bottle condition by adding fresh yeast, typically after 4 weeks in secondary. The sort of a information that would have been helpful for people to know before they bottle.

Thanks so .05 in each bottle I'm not sure my scales are that accurate but maybe rehydrate full amount and use a syringe to prime each bottle.
Just a thought. If you decant one bottle into a plastic fizzy drinks bottle when you do this, you'll be able to monitor any build up of pressure.

@Spit This thread might be of interest. A quad bottled with CBC-1, at a gravity of 1.028, that didn't bottle bomb. CBC-1 should just use the priming sugar you've already added without over carbonation from the residual wort sugars. 🤞

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/what-to-do-with-oversweet-quad.103591/#post-1246537
Thank you that's a really interesting read. I add the .05g of CBC 1 on Thursday to a pet bottle at 20° and is firming up nicely feels about the same as another bottle of a different beer I bottled on the same day so all looks good will see what it's like in a fortnight.

Latest posts

Back