Floating Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add to what MashBag has said you may be suffering from "Hop Creep" which is a secondary fermentation caused by adding hops to the brewing beer.
I am not saying that's what it is but if the hops are floating it maybe due to the co2 being released or a slight secondary fermentation which is what hop creep is.
It is all part of the learning curve and can happen every so often when dry hopping.
Re the moving the FV when full it is quite a heavy item as you know so try wherever possible to leave in the place where you are about to bottle/keg from. If that means you can not cold crash try using Gelatine to drag down as much impurities as possible or some proprietary fining agent and leave it where it is.
If you do want to move it use one of those plant dollies that have 4 wheels on them or make one.
Ps if you do move it and put it back to the bottling/kegging position just leave a couple of days to settle this is also a good time to fine if it has got shook up a little

Well the bucket is in the garage now (coldest place here) so hopefully this will work. I have to say though as a 60 odd year old them buckets ain't light! I'm just wondering how much disturbance there'll be moving it back inside for bottling? Also meant to say, checked the gravity, sat at 1.003 and it looks done. Thanks to all you guys for your enduring help!
Get yourself a small trolley/dolly. They're pretty cheap and make moving heavy buckets around so much easier. You'll be surprised how many times it then comes in use for other things!

Get yourself a small trolley/dolly. They're pretty cheap and make moving heavy buckets around so much easier. You'll be surprised how many times it then comes in use for other things!

Better still get a pump. They is one available for every lifting "opportunity"

Yes..carrying 23l to the garage isn't my favourite thing any more!
The solution may be to drop the brew size to 19l....I wonder what else is 19l??

Yes..carrying 23l to the garage isn't my favourite thing any more!
The solution may be to drop the brew size to 19l....I wonder what else is 19l??
Drink 4L of it on the way to the garage?

I made this kit last year. I didn't worry about the hops floating or cold crashing, left it until the end of the fermentation then syphoned it into a secondary vessel for bottling. I used an auto syphon with a mesh filter bag tied over the end. Beatifully clear after a couple of weeks with only a tiny amount of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I have a new one in the cupboard which I'll be starting in the next couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back