Food Hacks / Pimps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grown it in the poly tunnel. Gets to about 3ft or so,very nice flowers.
It's not difficult but I thought the yield per plant was small. I need to research a bit and choose the correct variety.. think I did Clems spineless? last time

All vegetables ferment. At least all the ones I've tried so far have. The surprise winner at the moment is sliced leek, lovely. Current batch is Okra/ladies fingers. Gone off like a train, it looks like I've made it with lemonade.

Are you drinking as a white wine?

Are you drinking as a white wine?

No, sorry, should have made it clearer. Stick vegetables in a 2% salt solution and next day it will start lacto-fermenting. Its a way of preserving, its how kimchi is made.

IMG_6712.jpg

The bubbles have pushed the okra up and dislodged the weight that should be keeping them submerged.

No, sorry, should have made it clearer. Stick vegetables in a 2% salt solution and next day it will start lacto-fermenting. Its a way of preserving, its how kimchi is made.

View attachment 98536

The bubbles have pushed the okra up and dislodged the weight that should be keeping them submerged.

Follow up. Don't bother fermenting Okra. They are practically tasteless.

Usually I make a batch of curry base gravy(see Curry thread) which although gives great results is time consuming and you need a freezer and lots of takeaway tubs.
At the moment I'm out of gravy so with it not possible to do without curry I've been trying a few things.
One short cut I'm happy with is to peel and cut a couple of medium onion,bit of oil,cover with foil and roast in the oven til soft. Then blitz with your stick blender,I use a old mug for this. Use as you would raw onions but the taste is much better.

Latest posts

Back