Fridge heater - is it worth buying anything fancy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega

Reaction score
I recently bought RAPT wifi connected temperature controller and RAPT Pill as a bundle. And I finally got myself large enough fridge. So, I only need something to heat the fridge to keep the right temperature. Do I need any special heater or anything cheap will do equally good job? I like making my life easier, so don’t mind paying more if it improves quality of the drink without much extra involvement. Thinking to buy this one as ScrewFix usually has fairly reliable kit:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dimplex-...mm/3951f#product_additional_details_container
I currently do pressure fermentation for IPA and lager (I know temperature control is not that much required for them, but still) and bucket fermentation for wines and want to use this kit for both drink types

Thank you

Last edited:
I recently bought RAPT wifi connected temperature controller and RAPT Pill as a bundle. And I finally got myself large enough fridge. So, I only need something to heat the fridge to keep the right temperature. Do I need any special heater or anything cheap will do equally good job? I like making my life easier, so don’t mind paying more if it improves quality of the drink without much extra involvement. Thinking to buy this one as ScrewFix usually has fairly reliable kit:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dimplex-...mm/3951f#product_additional_details_container
I currently do pressure fermentation for IPA and lager (I know temperature control is not that much required for them, but still) and bucket fermentation for wines and want to use this kit for both drink types

Thank you
Exactly the same as mine, works well, still going strong after about 5 years

Genuine question, but is there not a danger of beers becoming lightstruck if you use a bulb as opposed to a heater?

Fridge (2nd hand), heat belt and non-wifi InkBird. All for less than £80. No complaints with my set up butI wish I pushed the boat out that little bit further for the WiFi unit.

Genuine question, but is there not a danger of beers becoming lightstruck if you use a bulb as opposed to a heater?
Apparently not. Its sunlight that does that, incandescent has a different range/ strength of the light spectrum. It would do it eventually but you'd have to be fermenting for a long time.

I've used ceramic reptile tank heaters, that screw into lampholders. No light, cheap and robust...

Latest posts

Back