Fridge to Brew Chamber Wiring Modification.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev Mort

Reaction score
First apologies if this has been mentioned before, a quick search did not turn anything similar up.

A problem I had trying to use a modern fridge as a brew chamber was overcoming the digital electronic temperature control device. I read a few posts about rewiring the compressor motor but after one to many tripped circuit breaker attempts I decided an internet search for a better method was in order. After a trawl around I found this, a "Three In One Starter Relay", most of the suppliers are in America but there are one or two UK eBay suppliers. (RCO820 Start Relay 1-1/2HP 1/10HP 1/8HP Supco 7071256201490 | eBay). It is simplicity itself to fit just remove the plug from the compressor and connect this relay instead. No need to modify any wiring and it is an easy job to convert back again if you wanted to. The power feed in mine is completely separate from the fridge feed and is switched by an inkbird and works very well. I am not keen on the wire nut connectors that our American friends seem to like so I used more traditional wiring connectors instead. An additional bonus is If you did plug original fridge cable in to a separate permanent supply you would should still have a working interior light. I have not done this so Y.M.M.V. For heating when required I used a small tube heater again controlled by the inkbird.

Hope this helps any body with a similar problem.

Attachments

• 3-in-1-compressor-starter.pdf
    934.1 KB · Views: 0
Nicely done! I just used an inkbird clone (plug temperature controller) in my keezer, and would do the same in a fridge for simplicity and save doing things 'properly'. But nice to see how it can be done - sure will save someone else some heartache!

Latest posts

Back