Frozen Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
would i be correct in thinking that hops weigh more when frozen? maybe from absorbing moisture from the air in their bags which then freezes, then evaporates when we use them.

do you reckon this would make a noticeable difference when i step up to 20 gallon brew length or are we talking micrograms at even that level?

I dont tend to readjust weight becos of hops being frozen only in respect of loss of a/a.If the hops have been stored in air tight packaging and even if this is temperally broken each time you use these hops i dont see this will lead to much difference in weight .

ish. i know i'll prolly be a bit short as i've got to allow for headspace. but i've got a cunning plan melord!

You have to explain, i'd love to get 20G out of my 100 boiler :thumb:

maybe i've missed something :wha:

20 gallons is 90.9218376 litres right?

and vossy said that one litre is half a centimetre up the wall of these things. so correct me if i'm wrong (no doubt i am if you're saying that) but that should leave you 4cm from the brim?

with careful watching and topping up as it boils off, surely you can come close to 20 gallons in that thing :hmm:

Hmmmm...

99L I believe is the total vol and personally i'd not want to go over 85L in one during a boil following advice about the height of the boil..mound.

You can top up during the boil, but i've not really looked into how the IBU will be affected by that? Maybe is evens out with new additions :hmm:

If you get 20G out though - thats great, I was amazed to get 69L at the weekend :thumb:

my severin/brupaks boiler is 29 litres to overflow, so 28 without spillage. i've been getting consistent 23-25L batches out of it from topping it up with spare wort as it boils off. i stop topping it up about 15 mins before the chiller goes in though.

i'd say it works, and you've tasted my beer! :lol:

EDIT - mind you my element is in the middle

but the cunning plan is to fabricate a lip of some sort that sits on top of the brim to give an extra couple of inches head space ;)

Additional edit - and if i cant make 20gal from doing that, i'll just make the wort stronger, add more hops, then water it down in the fermenter ;)

We should have a biggest batch comp, who gat get the most 1.040 wort from their system :rofl: :thumb:

Back