Ghost ship clone.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombers hoppy ending

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Currently have a festival pilgrims hope bottled and conditioning and a Cwtch in the FV with another 2 weeks to go before its bottled. Looking for the next kit to go on after the Cwtch. Having had a couple of conversations on here, it’s been advised I get a kit in the rotation, that will condition a little quicker as my current beers will benefit from longer in the bottles. Festival Summer glory and IPA have both been mentioned as beers that fit this profile.
My question is, is there a good bombproof kit that fits this profile but be something like Adnams Ghost Ship. Reason being the wife has just started trying a few of my commercial ales and that style is currently her favourite.
Your thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.
Currently looking for something with similar character to ghost ship ie citrusy and possibly fruity that may appeal to wifey. Also to give me something significantly different in the rotation. Oh and something that will require less time conditioning than the two I currently have in the pipeline.
It's nice but nowhere near Ghost Ship imho

I doubt you'll find a kit that ticks all those boxes, but MJ Juicy IPA can (should?) be drunk early to capture the most of the fruity flavours. It isn't like Ghost Ship, but it is lovely!

I doubt you'll find a kit that ticks all those boxes, but MJ Juicy IPA can (should?) be drunk early to capture the most of the fruity flavours. It isn't like Ghost Ship, but it is lovely!
Thanks for the info.
I’ve been looking at lots of reviews of both this and the pink grapefruit. They appear to be well liked and also tick the box of something that likes being drunk young.
I have an order with B2B that I may see if I can add to before they send it. Save on postage. 😂
Also going to see if I can get my hands on a couple of bottles of elvis juice to see what it’s like, as I understand that was the inspiration for the pink grapefruit.

I'm drinking both the juicy and the pink grapefruit kits at the moment.

Factors that may/may not influence your choice:

The grapefruit is stronger ~6.5% vs juicy @ ~4.8%. You really notice that extra 1.7% too, especially after the second pint.
The juicy has more tropical flavours - passion fruit & mango predominantly and, while not sweet (the hops balance it well), it is quite 'out there' on the fruit-scale.
The grapefruit isn't quite as...err... 'grapefruity' as Elvis Juice. There's no mistaking the similarity and the grapefruit flavour is still at the fore but, compared to the Brewdog, the punch is dialled back by about 20% in the kit.

They're both great brews and, you're right, can be tucked into after about 10 days in the bottle/barrel. As the brewer, you'll be happy with either. Perhaps give your wife the choice...then you can't be blamed if she doesn't like the end result (leaving you to quaff 40pints yourself)!

I'm drinking both the juicy and the pink grapefruit kits at the moment.

Factors that may/may not influence your choice:

The grapefruit is stronger ~6.5% vs juicy @ ~4.8%. You really notice that extra 1.7% too, especially after the second pint.
The juicy has more tropical flavours - passion fruit & mango predominantly and, while not sweet (the hops balance it well), it is quite 'out there' on the fruit-scale.
The grapefruit isn't quite as...err... 'grapefruity' as Elvis Juice. There's no mistaking the similarity and the grapefruit flavour is still at the fore but, compared to the Brewdog, the punch is dialled back by about 20% in the kit.

They're both great brews and, you're right, can be tucked into after about 10 days in the bottle/barrel. As the brewer, you'll be happy with either. Perhaps give your wife the choice...then you can't be blamed if she doesn't like the end result (leaving you to quaff 40pints yourself)!
The juicy sounds like a good choice I recon. The lower ABV won’t hurt either.
I’ve seen some that use the grapefruit extract to lift the other closer to the elvis juice.
Time to ring B2B.

could always add the zest of two or three grapefruits that have been soaked in vodka for a couple of days , then just add the whole lot to a secondary fermenter for three to five days before bottling, works a treat 👍

could always add the zest of two or three grapefruits that have been soaked in vodka for a couple of days , then just add the whole lot to a secondary fermenter for three to five days before bottling, works a treat 👍
That sounds awesome. How much vodka do you use.

A few years ago when I was brewing kits I made a “Richies Simply Pale Ale” kit and dry hopped it with 100g Citra. I wouldn’t say it was a Ghost Ship clone but a few friends of mine who like Ghost Ship liked this too.

Last edited:
A few years ago when I was brewing kits a made a “Richies Simply Pale Ale” kit and dry hopped it with 100g Citra. I wouldn’t say is was a Ghost Ship clone but a few friends of mine who like Ghost Ship liked this too.
Thanks for that. I will certainly add that to my list.

I've made the simply pale ale kit 11 times now with varying amounts of Citra dry hop and it is a nice ale and very reasonably priced,but if you want a ghost ship clone its not even close.

I've made the simply pale ale kit 11 times now with varying amounts of Citra dry hop and it is a nice ale and very reasonably priced,but if you want a ghost ship clone its not even close.
Not so much a clone but she likes the characteristics of Ghost ship. Big citrus but not too bitter.

I can attest to this, it works wonders.

That sounds awesome. How much vodka do you use.
Just enough to cover all the zest,I personally use one of the wife’s tupaware boxes with the lid on, it just makes sure that the zest is all sterilised , then like I said just Chuck the whole lot in for a few days before bottling and you can use as much as you like for your own taste , but trust me it really does work very well.just make sure when zesting your fruit don’t get any of the white pith as this will impart a very bitter taste 👍🍻

Back