The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

One of the best beers I ever brewed was based on the Spring Beer by Greg Hughes. However due to ingredients constraints at the time I substituted the Galaxy/Wai-Iti hop combo for Cascade/Citra (more or less same schedule but with a Citra dry hop added) and had double the Munich to cover for a shortage in pale malt so rather than 4kg Pale /500g Munich I had 3.5kg Pale and 1kg Munich. So it was not that close to the original at all. :laugh8:

Therefore I am planning to revisit this recipe soon. However again I have a constraint. I do have the Galaxy now and can of course get the right quantities of malt but still don't have the Wai-Iti. I did find an online supplier over here (Czech Rep) but not sure if its worth making an order just for that. What I do have is a pack of Enigma and a pack of Pekko that I bought without a plan for using them. Anyone think either of these would make a good substitute for the Wai-Iti or should I just pull my finger out and the order the correct hops per the recipe?

Cheers!

I can get 100g of it over here for about the same price. Its not really the money, more whether its worth the effort (and the thick ear from her indoors) if I order a pack of hops from a supplier I never use (and lets face it, the basket is going to end up having more than just a pack of hops in) in order to use half the amount that I will order when I have a bunch of other hops in the freezer that my save me the bother! I'll probably end up doing just that though.

Latest posts

Back