Hawthorn and Apple Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked some haws last week, and decided to do a haw and apple wine. The question is about quantities. I've scanned the forum and it appears people have had mixed results with hawthorn berries, but I'm having a go anyway.
Last night, the lady and I de-stalked 3lb of haws and crushed 4lb apples with them and 5 points of water in a bucket. Campden in, doubled up on pectic enzyme and put some amylase in, as the haws seem rather starchy.
So the question is... does this seem a bit fruit-heavy for a gallon? I'm prepared to age it for a couple of years if necessary (honest!).
Might it be better to put a pound of sultanas in there and split it into two gallons? My guess is this would be a little on the thin side.
Ideas appreciated...

Not an expert on this one, but I don't reckon it would be fruit heavy. If you used al apple juice, it'd be cider- that's not fruit heavy! I once used haws to make a chutney and found them quite mucilaginous, but not a great deal of flavour. If I were going to do this, I think I'd be inclined to add even more apples, but I must stress, I've never done it.

Found a wine making book going through some stuff this morning. It has a hawthornberry wine recipe.

IMG_5688.jpg

It's from "FIRST steps in winemaking " by C.C.J. Berry (nominative determinism) 1993. It looks like a good book, the recipes are presented in the order of the month you'd make them.

Latest posts

Back