Heat pad for seeds??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an old Brew2bottle beer heat pad that I'm not using, and wondering if I could use it for helping my chili and tom seeds along? Has anyone done this? It wont have an kind of thermostat, unless I hook up a temp sensor and a smart plug to measure the temp of some of the soil. Thats fairly easy to do - but is it worth it? I'd also need some way of distributing the head - maybe put the seed trays on some ceramic tiles with the pad below that. Or am I better off just buying a heated propagator from amazon and calling it done??

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. We have a heated propagator and it's just an 8W element. I don't think it has any kind of thermostat. So it's probably the same as a heat pad under a seed tray. Give it a go and see how it works. If you've got a 30W heat pad, then I'm sure you can wire in something to cut down the wattage, or just put it on a smart plug that turns of fur hair the day.

Our seeds (especially chilli) come on a lot better if the propagator is heated

Back