Hello!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleak

Reaction score
Hi, my name's Luke I'm 20 years old (from the UK) and started home brewing just after Christmas (my partner got me my first kit for Chirstmas :laugh8:).
I have so far brewed:
Wilko Winter Ale (spiced apple) > I massively over primed this as I didn't have a secondary bucket to mix sugar water into the whole batch so every bottle I open is a gusher!
Wilko Devilish Red (Red Rye) > one of the nicest beers I've brewed so far although I didn't siphon it away from the sediment the best so each bottle had a fair amount of sediment at the bottom!
Cherry Larger > I bought a young's definitive larger kit and added cherry juice although I added a lot more that I should have so it's a very strong cherry taste which I'm not a fan of but my partner loves it so it wont go to waste
Magnum Elderflower Cider > I brewed this with 2kg of sugar as opposed to 1kg and according to my hydrometer it's come out at 7.7%, it's now sitting in my secondary to clear a bit before I start bottling it.

Future kits I've bought to brew:
Bulldog Evil Dog IPA (7.5%!)
Mangrove Jacks Grapefruit IPA (I've bought their pure malt enhancer to use with it)

If anyone has any kit or vendor recommendations they'd be much appreciated 😀 (I currently use Brew2Bottle as they've been the cheapest site I've found so far).

Last edited:
Hi luke, welcome to the forum, I can recommend Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA, most Coopers kits are good(I always use DME or LME with kits).

Hi Sleak and welcome to this motley crew of alchemists, mad-scientists, wannabe medics, political numbskulls and armchair philosophers. Regardless of your first brew being overprimed, was it drinkable? Was it good? We live and learn on this forum and if we didn't make mistakes it'd be boring. I've never used Brew to Bottle. But I stick to 4 suppliers: BrewUK, Themaltmiller, Thehomebrewcompany and Geterbrewed. One of my main considerations, though is how much weight I can get shipped for a single delivery charge. I must say I've been very impressed by Geterbrewed recently. Look them up and see if they do the stuff you need.

Hi Sleak and welcome to this motley crew of alchemists, mad-scientists, wannabe medics, political numbskulls and armchair philosophers. Regardless of your first brew being overprimed, was it drinkable? Was it good? We live and learn on this forum and if we didn't make mistakes it'd be boring. I've never used Brew to Bottle. But I stick to 4 suppliers: BrewUK, Themaltmiller, Thehomebrewcompany and Geterbrewed. One of my main considerations, though is how much weight I can get shipped for a single delivery charge. I must say I've been very impressed by Geterbrewed recently. Look them up and see if they do the stuff you need.
Hi An Ankù, The first beer is drinkable (and tastes great) I've just been having to sort of "ease" the caps to let the pressure out a few times before opening it so it doesn't make a mess!
I'll take a look at GeterBrewed, just from a glance it still looks like brew2bottle is a bit cheaper (I picked up my bulldog kit for £23 and it's £25 on GeterBrewed, the mangrove jacks kit I picked up is also a bit cheaper on Brew2bottle and they offer free shipping on a £50+ spend :))
Looking on GEB I like the look of the "DIPA" beer kit, 9% ABV with a nice hoppy finish sounds like heaven 😀

Welcome, won't be long before you are ag brewing it really a lot cheaper than kits all though i still do kits as i brew outside so depend on the weather acheers.
What sort of equipment do you need to start brewing without the kits?
How much does it cost to brew (roughly) if you do it all on your own without a kit?

If you have the basics which you obviously have, a 30-35L kettle will set you back Maischfest Mash Kettle this much i use the cheaper fullhorn biab system, last brew i did cost 52.4p a bottle i can brew a bitter for much less than that, but its not all about money the step up in quality ale is amazing

If you have the basics which you obviously have, a 30-35L kettle will set you back Maischfest Mash Kettle this much i use the cheaper fullhorn biab system, last brew i did cost 52.4p a bottle i can brew a bitter for much less than that, but its not all about money the step up in quality ale is amazing
I'd really like to try it. My only limitation really is space at the moment! I'll look into the mash kettle you recommended.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back