I thought it was over

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brydo

Regular.
Reaction score
So I did a BIAB lager months ago and everything went well. After two weeks in a cupboard in the house to Carb up, I moved the bottles to the shed in around mid February. Left them for a few weeks and the bottles had cleared but it felt like the bottles had gotten softer (pet bottles) they were relatively firm in the house but less so after two weeks in the cold. The beer was flat when poured.I left them for another couple of months until yesterday morning when I brought them back inside, opened one and it was flat. I left them till 6pm when I was hone from work and was preparing to pour it away and clean out the bottles when I found they had gone firm again. I opened one and it was fully carbonated and tasted delicious. I'm confused as to what's happened? Does the beer need to return to room tempreture for a bit or can it sit too long in the cold ? Any insight would be great

Cheers

I suspect you could have done with a little extra priming sugar. The gas will expand at higher temperatures and make the bottles feel firm but at cooler temperatures the gas will contract and you’ll loose some pressure.

You can try repriming with more sugar - remove the cap, put in a little sugar water, squeeze the bottle to bring the level of beer up to the rim (to exclude any air), replace the cap and store somewhere warm for a few days to carbonate.

Worth a shot before you throw it away?

I suspect you could have done with a little extra priming sugar. The gas will expand at higher temperatures and make the bottles feel firm but at cooler temperatures the gas will contract and you’ll loose some pressure.

You can try repriming with more sugar - remove the cap, put in a little sugar water, squeeze the bottle to bring the level of beer up to the rim (to exclude any air), replace the cap and store somewhere warm for a few days to carbonate.

Worth a shot before you throw it away?
Thanks mate, will do. That makes sense about the temps so hopefully this works. Hate throwing beer away

Back