Insulating a kettle to go on the hob

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1985

Reaction score
Hi All,

My friend and I have just purchased the below kettle. I'm concerned about it's ability to reach a rolling boil on my standard gas cooker top. I was wondering whether it is safe to insulate it with this stuff? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also has anyone got a link to a how to guide in terms of actually how to insulate it?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thermal-Insulation-Foil-Roll-600mm-x-8m/p/210022

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.u...Tap-Hop-Strainer-and-Thermometer.html#SID=164

Insulating anything on a gas burner is a pain, I have a 100 litre pan on a 7.5kw burner and to this day I've I've not found anything suitable to use whilst the flames on other than armoflex I think it's called witch is hugely exspensive.
That silver stuff is fine when the hobs off but not when it's on

What a shame! I was hoping that there'd be a way. I'll try it tomorrow and see how I get on!

If you have an immersion boiler use water out the hot tap as hot as you can get it will help speed up the time taken. Also use the lid bang it on until your boiling. Then either remove completely if boils sufficient or half cover it.

I presume your biab ?

Yup BIAB. Not concerned about the mash as I use my ACE Mash Tun for that. It's just boiling the wort. Fortunately it's got a temp dial on it so I could leave the lid on complete if needs be!

It will start making different noises as it comes to the boil l, I normally take my lid off at around 96-97 degrees so it doesnt catch me off guard.

What's your first brew

It's not my first brew, just my first with this new pot. We are doing our first Milk Stout. Previously done IPAs, Kolsch's, Wheat Beers and we are bottling a Belgian Abbey beer too today.

Latest posts

Back