Iodine test (starch haze)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't add it to the beer at all. Just a small sample of the beer, a teaspoonful is enough, and then throw the sample away.
Back in the day when a 90 minute mash was standard, I had, perhaps, one in 20 brews where I had to extend the mash time to complete conversion. Now that recipes are calling for a 60 minute mash, I would have thought the starch test was even more important. Unless you're brewing a hefeweisen or one of the cloudy, alcoholic fruit juice non-beers, of course.
Subtle difference, but you are right don't add it to the beer.

Vosene more suitable for a 90 minute Wash.

https://www.vosene.co.uk/

I always do an iodine starch test - every mash. I have an old eye dropper... one drop of tincture of iodine in a teaspoonful of mash is sufficient. If there's any starch present, it'll go dark. If not, it'll stay orangy-brown. As others have said, dispose of the sample:you don't want iodine in your beer.

Tincture of iodine available at any decent pharmacy. Buy the smallest bottle you can, which costs peanuts and will last the rest of your life.

With my old cooler box mash tun - in use up until about 5 years ago - it was essential to do a starch test as it was completely random when starch conversion was done. With the Grainfather I have now, conversion is always completed within an hour. Old habits die hard, and the iodine test is now just part of my routine. Takes seconds & costs peanuts.

Back