Isleworth vineyard update 5

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
While pruning the other day, I was approached by an old local who gave me an interesting piece of information. As a result of German bombing raids, places had to found to dump rubble and the human remains which could not separated from it. One such site was what was to become Redlees park allotments. I had wondered why I had been unearthing bits of brick, tile, slates, broken glass and bones. Most llotment plants grow to a depth of about 1 foot, but mature vines can send roots 4 feet deep. Considering all the possible contaminants, almost certainly including lead, asbestos and rotting human flesh, in the rubble, this could account for the dead, dying and diseased vines and why the allotments were closed at a time when demand was high.
Not quite a 'Poltergeist' scenario, more of a poison chalice, however there are a few mysteries. Why did the shed, and its replacement, burn down. Vandals, probably. Why, despite meticulous pruning, feeding, weeding and spraying did every single emerging grape wither? Why did the gate padlock, for which I had no key, unlock itself while I was talking a passer by, who I have never seen since, and for that matter, why do I keep being approached by old residents who I only ever see once? And why did one of the dead vines, completely rotted away at the base, miraculously regenerate from dead roots, only later to appear to have been cleanly severed at ground level? Why do the Council have no records or information about the vineyard, which does not feature on their park website and why do the parks department take the trouble to maintain the grass around the vines, with no suggestion of charging rent for the land? It's all a bit strange.

Wonderfully strange I would say!!

(And, ever the entrepreneur, one could perhaps suggest that ALL the best wines and vineyards have maybe a little sprinkling of mystery and intrigue... :thumb: )

Latest posts

Back