iSpindel Users

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has come across issues with their iSpindel under pressure? I had mine at about 15 psi and it stopped transmitting. When I took it out I noticed that the D2 transistor had a lot of corrosion on it (no way a drop of water could have got there but not on anything else).
I scraped that off, switched it back on and still no joy. After closer inspection I noticed that the battery spring plate was barely making contact with the battery. I wedged this up, turned it back on and it worked.
Would a lose battery cause the corrosion and jump the transistor pins (I'm assuming this was the problem)? There was no marks on the battery contacts.
Sorry, but the pic is post-scraping of the corrosion.
J
PXL_20230424_130634249.jpg

No issues under pressure, but I've had one just drop out on me. Was a couple of years old and looked a bit manky inside,. Initially thought it sprung a leak but saw no signs. It was a generic ready built one off eBay and had some issues with it before including a duff battery. my second is one from GingerNeil and had no issues with that one so far so maybe there is a variability of quality with these things.

Did you notice anything wrong with the PCP?
Yeah, mine was pre-built and only 8 months old. I'm going to give it a good clean (housing and circuit board), pop it into my current brew when dry hopping and see how she goes. Hopefully, I get another while out of it.
Mine is Cherry Philip.

Did you notice anything wrong with the PCP?
Yeah, mine was pre-built and only 8 months old. I'm going to give it a good clean (housing and circuit board), pop it into my current brew when dry hopping and see how she goes. Hopefully, I get another while out of it.
Mine is Cherry Philip.
No. Just stopped working. The red charging light illuminated when plugged in but if you turned it on it was dead. I just suspected a leak because the inside of the tube looked cloudy as it it had leaked but no signs that it had filled with fluid.

No. Just stopped working. The red charging light illuminated when plugged in but if you turned it on it was dead. I just suspected a leak because the inside of the tube looked cloudy as it it had leaked but no signs that it had filled with fluid.
That's what mine was doing before I scraped away the corrosion. Maybe worth having another look if you haven't dumped it.

Isopropyl alchohol and a good scrub with an old toothbrush is good for cleaning the bits of the ispindel.

I've taken to lifting my ispindel out of the ferment using a strong magnet when I go to pressure the brew. It's normally only a few points off finishing when I set it to spund so no worries about loss of gravity information. I still have the lower end in the top of the beer to monitor temperature.
I did sink one ispindel which I resuscitated in a pressure brew but think this was because it was a kveik lager at 30 celsisus and 30 psi which pushed it over the edge.

Back