Katy, Bramley & Egremont Russet.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gjclayton

Reaction score
Hello all.

I think I've been here before (well, I had a profile, but I forgot my password, so it's been a while!).

I have three trees in my garden, as listed in the title: Katy, Bramley and Egremont Russet.

I know that some craft cider companies make single variety ciders from all of these apples, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using them?
I am planning on making some cider this year. I have made some in the past, from scrumped, unknown varieties that has had mixed results!

If anyone has any tips or experience of these varieties in particular, I'd love to hear from you!
I'll also do a search on the forum too of course!

Thanks!

GJC

I have nothing for those varieties, but when I was making, there was a ratio for sweets & sours.

Had you considered apple wine, very good indeed, comes out like a mosel and you can perhaps express particular character of the apples.

Hello all.

I think I've been here before (well, I had a profile, but I forgot my password, so it's been a while!).

I have three trees in my garden, as listed in the title: Katy, Bramley and Egremont Russet.

I know that some craft cider companies make single variety ciders from all of these apples, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using them?
I am planning on making some cider this year. I have made some in the past, from scrumped, unknown varieties that has had mixed results!

If anyone has any tips or experience of these varieties in particular, I'd love to hear from you!
I'll also do a search on the forum too of course!

Thanks!

GJC
Keep adding your scrumped apples to the mix, providing they're not very sour, like crab apples. Go easy on the Bramleys as they can add too much tartness. It also depends on how you ferment and condition your cider. If you ferment and store in bulk and not bottle until the new year, you can hope for the tartness to lessen as the malic acid content diminishes.
I've just bought a couple of crab apples to add a bit more sourness to mine.

If you also store it outside over winter, the excess acid will crystallise and you can rack it off in February before it redisolves.

Back