Keg heating

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sausages

Reaction score
I brew kits in a 25L youngs plastic fermentor which then get put in a corny keg (mostly, I bottle whats left over). I don't have space for a brew fridge so tend to brew in the cooler months when I only have to worry about keeping things warm. To do that I sit the fermentor in a water bath to maintain temperature. As I prime my kegs I have also been putting the keg in the water bath to carb them up, however this then ties up the water bath and I can't get another brew on.

Has anyone used a belt heater on a 19L corny keg? I was wondering if using one of those, plus a insulating jacket, would keep the keg at a steady carbonation temperature. I would need to use a thermostat I think with the cheaper ones to make sure I don't get the keg too warm. The only place I have to keep the kegs while carbing up is in an unheated utility room, and I've always worked on the basis of keeping them at about 20C as I do the primary fermentation.
stock

Yes it will work but you will need a controller of some kind. Back in the day we made our own but you can buy them now.

This will heat OR cool which is ok for your application. Before I had a fridge I used one I made and a repurposed heat pad from my wine making days.

NICREW Digital LED Heating and Cooling Temperature Controller, Reptile Thermostat for Snake, Lizard, Tortoise, Vivarium and Other Reptiles, 1100W 220V https://amzn.eu/d/7uqbc3k

Any reason you can't bring the corny in the house? No smells etc like brewing, so could place in a wardrobe or similar and take advantage of house temp?

Thanks for confirming it would work. I have pretty much taken over the utility room with brewing kit, I think any further incursions into the house would be frowned upon!

PS not sure who to thank for the avatar that's appeared on my profile but I like it!

Latest posts

Back