Kegging Question, can you keg condition without CO2 when you fill it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Title pretty much sums up my question. Got a keg and my stout is ready, ordered some Gas from my local supplier but theyre taking awhile to get back to me, and my stout should've been kegged/bottled 3 days ago. I know you need CO2 to get a proper seal and reduce the chance of oxidation, but since I haven't got my gas yet and I'm unsure when I will get it, can I just throw it in and let the second fermentation create a seal or will that ruin the beer?

At this point, it's really no different than putting into a carboy for extended aging. Yes, ideally you want to purge the keg and then lock it down. But as long as you are careful and don't do a lot of splashing, you'll be fine.

Id just leave it in the fermenter, cold crash if you can. No harm keeping it there a few extra weeks, tho I wouldnt leave it more than 5-6 weeks. A stout will want to be aged for quite a while before drinking so you are best to avoid any oxygen getting in.

Yes, you can prime your keg with some sugar and use secondary fermentation to produce the CO2 needed to carbonate your beer and protect it from oxidation.
This. Prime it. The extra yeast activity when carbonating will scrub any O2 in the keg, and will mean it's not sitting on the original yeast cake too long, which can give it a soapy off flavour. Check out this thread: Keg priming

Back