Kveik Starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbrooker

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm using Kveik for the first time, and have a liquid pouch of WHC Lab Voss Kveik (Ragnar). I've read so much different advice on how to handle this. It's coming up to expiration, and so I'm planning to make a starter.

The pouch says that its a direct pitch, and advises throwing in the whole thing, but the more prevalent advice seems to be to use just under a teaspoon of this instead (19L). I've decanted into a sterilised jar, there seems to be a much higher slurry to liquid ratio than i expected (although it may settle out a little more).

Essentially, do i pitch the whole lot into a starter, or just a teaspoon of the slurry? Once done can I then add boiled/cooled water to top the jar back up? Yeast washing seems to be another thing that's very hard to get to the bottom of!!

All advice appreciated, This is my first time with kveik, starters and liquid yeast and I'm nervous of cocking it up.

Attachments

• 20210225_130753.jpg
    20210225_130753.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 31
I’ve used this exact yeast.

First brew I used the whole pouch.

I cropped the yeast 40hoirs into fermentation and ended up with a jam jar very similar looking to yours.

Subsequent brews a just pitched a teaspoon of the slurry and they fermented fine. I think I have done about 5 brews with it so far, and I still have some left. I have also cropped it since so I have a jar of third generation.

I’d pitch a large teaspoon of that slurry, but if you want to be safe fire in the whole lot. Top crop it 40hrs after pitch and you’ll have a load more for future brews.

Edit- sorry I’ve used the Bjorn (Hornindial) yeast, not the Voss.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back