Label removal holy grail.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andybiker

Reaction score
Hi all,

Today I have discovered what I can only describe as the holy grail of label removers.

Whilst trying to remove labels as we all know are a right royal PITA..

I read that rubbing alchol is good... and whilst it is it still requires a lot of elbow grease... well I stumbled across some miracle eraser pads in the cupboard and thought I know let's try those with rubbing alcohol on them and wow what a difference.

Once the initial paper has been soaked off the glue comes off really easy with the miracle eraser and rubbing alcohol.
Still needs a bit of rubbing but nothing like before.

Thought I'd share.

Cheers

Paper labels I usually never have a problem, plastic one different matter. The glue stays on gne bottle and hard to remove. Dishwasher , oxy or even white spirit doesn't do much. My next think to try is cheap nail polish remover with acetone. It should remove that type of glue hopefully

Yeah.. I did find it worked better some than others. However wd40 and steel wool made short work of the more tricky ones.

Yeah.. I did find it worked better some than others. However wd40 and steel wool made short work of the more tricky ones.
I had some brewdog labels that left some awful residue on the bottle. WD40 and wire wool worked a charm! Had to give them a good wash afterwards though as that stuff stinks

If they're paper and they wash off fine ..is it really worth the bother of spending money and time scratching off labels..?

Money: no. Time: maybe.

When I was starting out I only had a few bottles saved up myself. I asked around and got what I was given. 1 year later I can't move for bottles. If the label is a pain to remove these days it goes in the recycling. Not everyone is in that position though so it's good to know the odd trick.

I had some brewdog labels that left some awful residue on the bottle. WD40 and wire wool worked a charm! Had to give them a good wash afterwards though as that stuff stinks
I understand WD40 is based on fish oil. Not that that should be a problem if the bottles are washed well afterwards.

Plastic labels are easy. Fill bottle with boiling water, label peels off easily. The glue that's left behind - wrap a sheet of kitchen towel round it and soak it in white spirit. Let it stand for 5 minutes then remove and the residue will wipe off with more rags/kitchen towel.

I understand WD40 is based on fish oil. Not that that should be a problem if the bottles are washed well afterwards.
A friend who once worked in a factory where it was made said it was white spirit and isopropanol.

I had a job n half trying to get labels off demijohns and a plastic Fv yesterday. Used one of those crappy green rough sponge thingies and just turned the glue green! Going to try non permanent marker pen next time I think.

Back