Mahhh Brewery is almost finished

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damfoose

Reaction score
Had a busy day sorting the brewery out and having a general test, Still waiting for Nadine to get some 50 litre thermo pots up on ebay, But here is the result so far.

Built the structure. The boiler also managed to heat 30 litres of water to 80C in about 20 min.

Brewery01.jpg

Added wheels so its easier to move

Brewery02.jpg

Now the fun part where and how to install the pump, Its now at the bottom of the whole shebang and bolted in.

Brewery07.jpg

Sited the JG piping from the pump up to the outlet of the HLT so I can fill it from the boiler and coverd the pipe in a thermal wrap to help keep the heat in. Also used JG elbows and removed the internal grasps for the connection to the HLT and the boiler so I can disconnect them easily. You can see the new chiller in the background made of 8mm copper tubing wraped it around a bin to make it. Also brased on 2 8mm - 15mm step ups so I can connect to a hose pipe.

Brewery08.jpg

Same connection from the boiler to the pump. This wont be connected while the boiler is heating up the water nor during the boil.

Brewery09.jpg

Here im checking the length needed for the HLT to connect to the mash tun for the pipe. You can also see how the boiler will be stored when not in use. Their is plenty of space to put all of the brewery onto the frame the chiller hangs on the back, Then next to the mashtun the hose and electric extension lead sits.

Brewery10.jpg

Mashtun and HLT connection I will use the same type of connection when I have a new SS thermopot form nadine the HLT has the outlet in the bottom dead centre using 22mm tubing and tap I have connected a stepdown from 22mm to 15mm. Also showing is the pump to HLT connection disconnected I may get a T for it to clean it up. Also fitted the same temp probe as in the boiler, When I pumped a batch of 30 litres of water up to the HLT it lost 5 degrees C so not to bad a loss.

Brewery11.jpg

I do have to take the mashtun out for the first part of the mash but I can add the desired amount of water direct from the boiler, Just means I have to lift the mashtun up after the initial mash which is no problem really as I will be flysparging it should all work out well enough,

I am hoping to give it a proper test tomorrow after the boy has had his rugby match. Start time will be in the region of 13:30 I hope.

Found a problem , Mashtun is to low and I cant raise it due to constraints of wanting to leave enough space for a nordic 50 litre stockpot, Have a plan or two either get a 3 litre run off tub that the pump can pump out of so the sparge runs naturally, or lower the pump bung a T piece with asscociated valves and use the pump to pump hot liqure up to the HLT from the boiler and after the boil use same pump to pump to the FV I am thinking of going this route as the pump will have had almost 50 litres of 100c water pumped through it about half an hour befor the sparge so the water will cool in the HLT ( non insulated ) which will kill most nasties in the pump.

The pump itself is really easy to strip for cleaning so im thinking after the boil of the wort pump the wort to the FV , clean boiler out boil 10 litres or so of water and pump that through the pump getting most of the leftover wort out of it, strip pump clean last bits of wort if any job done.

All ideas welcome on this one..... ( except getting a second pump swmbo would kill me )

Difficult to hide the pump from her as she helps me brew :oops: also will be the one receving the parcel when delivered :hmm:

Busted swmbo also reads the forum every now and again :oops: not that my misses is to worried good lass TBH

Nice one, sounds like a result :thumb:

(hello Mrs damfoose :thumb: )

Latest posts

Back