making a tincture to flavour an impy stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, made an Impy stout in about Feb this year and it's been sitting quietly in the corner of my garage since in a carboy nice and covered and snuggled away. I'm looking to revive and bottle ready for Christmas. Plan is to add yeast (lallemant CBC-1) and sugar into the carboy then bottle to bottle condition for a couple of weeks...hopefully just in time for Christmas.

I have two carboys so thinking about flavouring one (or both) of them just for the hell of it and chosen coconut rum and just thinking about the method to do this.

My preference is to make up a tincture of coconut infused rum to add to the carboy as this seem less faff and doesn't require transferring the beer into another vessel so less risk and faff. Just wondering the best way of making the tincture...i.e. how much rum to coconut to soak for a couple of weeks...will desiccated coconut work or do I need something else to get sufficient coconut flavour to run through? to toast or not to toast the coconut?

Clearly want to minimise the amount of rum I add as I want to avoid it coming through too boozy in the final thing...I've made this recipe before and it is a very think and viscous imply coming in at about 12% so can handle a bit of rum in there. Not going to drink all over Christmas so the rest will just sit in bottles and mature even longer so will have more time to mellow if it is a bit boozy initially...still got some from last years batch...its not a session beer!! Thinking about half a litre for the 20litre batch?

Anyone any experience of this or any advice?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back