Making GF Beer - Clarity Ferm

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periolus

Landlord.
Reaction score
Happy Advent!
Right, my wife is a coeliac and loves gf beer. I started looking at malts and extracts and it all seemed very limited.

However! White Labs Clarity Ferm, apart from de-hazing beer, also apparently removes gluten to at or below 20ppm, the level at which beer could be certified gluten free.

Has anyone had any experience using this? Can it really be used to reduce the gluten level in beer to safe levels for coeliacs? Does the style of beer (e.g. OG/FG) make any difference?

I have used Clarity Ferm and now NBS Clarity for every beer I make, no matter the style, no beer drinkers are diagnosed gluten sensitive in my family but many years ago a preference for beer made with this product was expressed because of the discomfort that gluten beer can bring and i have used it ever since. It makes no difference to any flavour or technical parameters and has the side benefit of removing chill haze athumb..

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/nbs-clarity-15ml/

Plus one for that. I brew the odd GF beer if My father in law will be drinking it.

I have a very small contract brewing business in Spain and I have made a few gluten-free beers. When I do, I use brewer's clarex and as I sell to the general public I need to make sure it is below 20 ppm in order to sell and label them correctly so I need to send mine to a lab for testing. I find that almost all of the lighter beers (5% or below) do drop to below 20 ppm but the IPA, (6.5%) can sometimes test at 30-35. I anecdotally tested one of these a couple of weeks later and it did drop further still after sitting there and eventually reached below 20 (but needed a month or so). Either way, the products definitely work and I would feel happy for my daughter, who is a celiac, to consume the beers I have made and treated with brewer's clarex but I don't let her drink them because she's only 12 ;-)

I have a very small contract brewing business in Spain and I have made a few gluten-free beers. When I do, I use brewer's clarex and as I sell to the general public I need to make sure it is below 20 ppm in order to sell and label them correctly so I need to send mine to a lab for testing. I find that almost all of the lighter beers (5% or below) do drop to below 20 ppm but the IPA, (6.5%) can sometimes test at 30-35. I anecdotally tested one of these a couple of weeks later and it did drop further still after sitting there and eventually reached below 20 (but needed a month or so). Either way, the products definitely work and I would feel happy for my daughter, who is a celiac, to consume the beers I have made and treated with brewer's clarex but I don't let her drink them because she's only 12 ;-)
Welcome to the forum Jan

Certainly are but you will get different opinions on some subjects which is good, so you may have to form your own opinion

I stopped brewing beer ten years ago when I was diagnosed as coeliac. I've just started again using Clarity Ferm with no problems. Two kits so far and some simple BIAB brews planned for the spring.

I was diagnosed with coeliac disease 5 years ago and gave away all my home brewing equipment. A couple of years later I was told about clarity ferm and was delighted to be able to start brewing and enjoying beer again. I have had no issues at all although I’ve not brewed anything above 7%(yet)

I would advise coeliacs to drink only 5 ml initially and if no symptoms increase gradually,,,,,,,,,

Can support the findings re NBS Clarity .... wife is gluten intolerant (NOT coeliac however) but has had no reactions with the beers I've brewed with gluten reduced.

some coeliacs are so sensitive that any amount of gluten could cause severe harm.......

some coeliacs are so sensitive that any amount of gluten could cause severe harm.......
Which is why I was pointing out my wife has been diagnosed as gluten intolerant and NOT coeliac .... NBS has helped and she can enjoy a beer or two again.

Latest posts

Back