Mangrove Jacks Helles Lager kit - what's gone wrong!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been brewing the above kit this week using M54 yeast.
Brewing under pressure in a corny (have brewed under pressure for others) from last Sunday early hours. The fermentation really took off and by Monday evening SG had dropped from OG 1.040 (this was a lower OG than expected) to 1.020.
By Tuesday morning SG had dropped further to 1.014 when I dry hopped. Until this point it smelt really good - very much like a lager is expected to smell.
By today it has been a consistent SG of 1.012 (or slightly over) since Wednesday.
Since dry hopping the aroma is not as good as it was, difficult to say but slightly musty off flavour.

My questions are why has FG stopped at 1.012 from an expected FG of 1.010 which means ABV is only circa 3.6% so below the expected 4.4% advertised by MJ with an attenuation (if correctly calculated) of only 70%?
Secondly why the off flavour since dry hopping when it smelt fine before?

Process was as follows:
1. Rehydrated yeast as normal at 22c. Sunday early hours.
2. Pitched yeast into corny at wort temp of 21.5c.
3. No pressure applied from the start until pressure built up to 23psi by Sunday pm and set spunding valve at consistent 22psi. MJ recommended pressure fermenting this yeast at 22psi from pitching.
4. Depressurized corny and added dry hopped pellets Tuesday am when SG was 1.014. Repressurized corny to 22psi.
5. Temp has been a consistent 20c and recommended brewing temp. by MJ for this yeast is 18-20c. As it was under pressure I kept it at the higher end of this range.
6. Due to put corny in fridge for cold crashing anytime now as the FG seems consistent.

Any ideas/suggestions what may have gone wrong would be welcome as always.

Many thanks

Back