Methods to monitor fermtation progress.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmark

Regular.
Reaction score
Since starting to brew some 3 years ago my methods have changed. The first method was to watch the air lock, this caused problems as the air lock leaked and temperature also affects rate of fermentation, however I stopped the air lock leaking by using a stuffing gland. And although the hydrometer was used to confirm what the air lock showed, it was the primary quick check.

Then I moved into a fridge, could not see air lock without opening the door and as a result it was not really any easier watching an air lock as to use hydrometer, plus now near ever brew took same time, using Youngs Harvest Scottish Heavy kit nearly every brew and set at 19°C I could happily just leave for 10 days, swap to clean fermentor leave another 10 days and bottle. Yes I did check with hydrometer but don't know why, the reading was same every time.

However now moving into summer months I have noticed another indicator as to brew progress, and that is the freezer air temperature, I have always measured fermentor temperature to control so with controller set to 18.5 ~ 18.8°C I have noted the freezer air temperature starts at around 16°C once settled down, and slowly climbs as the brew progresses, once the major part of fermenting has completed the air temperature equals the fermentor temperature.

As to this being of any use I don't know? When heat is required then there is always a gap between freezer air temperature and fermentor temperature, only when cooling do it seem to show how it has progressed. Since I will still leave 10 + 10 days it does not really alter what I do. Other than confirm fermentation is actually taking place.

During the winter months heating the brew had no real surprises, it did as expected, I used an energy meter to work out average power used and even in heart of winter in my freezer in integral unheated garage 5W was maximum average power used, an 8W bulb was ample to maintain the 19°C I had selected. I found brewing in the fridge my 18W under floor heating tile was too big, it would over shoot, specially as the winter was left behind and I realised I would need to reduce the output of the tile.

Summer however has not been the same, once cooling was required, I found my fridge/freezer sent hardly any cooling to fridge so no option but used freezer compartment, I expected a large over shoot using a simple controller with sensor on the fermentor, I was wrong, it did not even over shoot by 0.1°C even when on first switch on the freezer air went down to 5.6°C. I found setting at 0.1°C differential was not required 0.3°C was ample, even with sensor on the fermentor in fact if it had been in the air it would have needed to be much larger a differential set, as it is the freezer does not run for very long each time it switches on, total power used over 4 days set to 18.5°C is just 0.49 kWh even when ambient in garage is over 20°C most of the day.

I had expected to be forced to measure freezer air temperature for the controller, I was completely wrong. This does not seem to line up with comments on the forums where prior to doing it myself, I was told how I would get a yo-yo effect as both heating and cooling over shoot. Heating yes I had to use a far smaller heater than I expected to stop over shoot, but cooling it has been spot on. One fact maybe which has a bearing on this is with a frost free freezer and with an upright freezer one can only use a frost free as other wise the evaporator is in the way, there is a built in fan, that's how it works, the evaporator is behind a shield kept away from food, and at a set time a heater melts off any ice formed on the evaporator with the fan not running so only the evaporator is heated, but on the cool cycle the fan circulates the air. As my temperature controller switches on I hear the fan start, the freezer does some self checking and the freezer motor starts some 3 minutes after the fan. On first switch on it took some 40 minutes for the fermentor to cool from 20.4°C to the set 18.5°C and in that time the freezer air went down to 5.8°C. On the controller switching off there was a rapid warming of the freezer air to 9.2°C before the fermentor warmed to 19°C switching the controller on again, (there was a 15 minute delay set) and hit 11.5°C before the freezer motor started, that was just 18 minutes of freezer motor not running for temperature to go from 5.8 to 11.5°C the reverse is not true, when the heater over shot to 22°C when set at 19°C it took a couple of days to cool down again even with ambient in garage at 16°C.

I have really been surprised at cooling, it was not anywhere as hard as I had been lead to believe. Plus it also seems to show how fermentation is progressing.

Well it has gone completely up the creak, the cold spell has removed the need for cooling, and the temperatures simply don't make sense. I would expect there to be a gradient garage, freezer air, fermentor with the garage coldest and fermentor hottest, but that has not happened the freezer air is colder than both garage and fermentor? I have given up trying to work it out.

Since I will still leave 10 + 10 days it does not really alter what I do.

Which exactly follows the trusted saying ...

"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:​

I can understand a desire to closely monitor what's happening ... :thumb:

... but to do so can take up a lot of money and heaps of time ... :doh: :doh:

... which is why I don't bother all that much! :whistle: :whistle:

Yes I would agree, the cold spell has upset my tests in a way. In another way it is good, once I have found how the fridge and freezer react with the controls I can sit back and forget about it. But at the moment not sure what will happen.

Well yesterday I got around to swapping the controllers so now both can be used to heat and/or cool. Since the fridge is so slow to react it will be used to condition in so heating only, and the freezer will have both heat and cooling. As it is a fridge/freezer some cooling may get to fridge, but monitoring to date is seems that is so little I can forget about it.

Heater in fridge a bit on the large size at 18W freezer more reasonable at 8W.

Well I must report the control has been spot on, the air temperature has over the test gone from 5.8ºC to 22.5ºC but the fermentor has remained at the set temperature. Only the second brew using the refrigeration, but running far better than expected. Now 1st July 2016.

Latest posts

Back