Metropolitan Police officers stepped back from firearm duties.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They put their life in danger and may have to make a "split-second decision" would you want to do the job thinking you may end up in court if you make the wrong decision in that split second?

Home secretary orders review into armed policing

Suella Braverman has ordered a review of armed policing after some Metropolitan Police officers stepped back from firearm duties when a marksman was charged with a murder.
The home secretary said officers have to make "split-second decisions" and must not fear "ending up in the dock for carrying out their duties".
Unarmed Chris Kaba, 24, died after he was shot in south London last year.
A Metropolitan Police officer appeared in court on Thursday.
The Met said many firearms officers were "worried" about how the charging decision "impacts on them". Armed officers from other forces are being deployed as a contingency measure.
The force said its own officers still make up the vast majority of armed police in the capital but they were being supported from Saturday evening by a limited number of firearms officers from neighbouring forces.
A source suggested that more than 100 officers have handed in what is known as a ticket permitting them to carry firearms.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66906193

Last edited:
Why shouldn't he be charged if his actions have been investigate and found inappropriate. Won't he get a fair trial with all mitigating circumstances taken into consideration? The Met already has convicted rapists and paedos so why should we be surprised to find murderers as well. A root and branch reform of this dodgiest of organisations is long overdue.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't he be charged if his actions have been investigate and found inappropriate. Won't he get a fair trial with all mitigating circumstances taken into consideration?
Would you say a police officer shooting a person because they believe they saw a gun in the hand of that person (in the split second mentioned above) would be inappropriate?

Would you say a police officer shooting a person because they believe they saw a gun in the hand of that person (in the split second mentioned above) would be inappropriate?
Not for me to judge, Chippy. No doubt there has been an internal enquiry, as there is for all shootings, and that enquiry found the the specific circumstances of that shooting to be inappropriate hence the murder charge. I suppose that's the way things happen.
I wonder if I were legitimately carrying a weapon- perhaps on a planned and organised cull of, say, deer and I shot an unarmed member of the BPL* whether my defence "I thought he had a gun in his hand and he was going to shoot me" would stand me in much stead.

*BPL Bambi Protection League

Not for me to judge, Chippy. No doubt there has been an internal enquiry, as there is for all shootings, and that enquiry found the the specific circumstances of that shooting to be inappropriate hence the murder charge. I suppose that's the way things happen.
That is why i dont blame them for handing in their tickets only the police officer knows what he saw in that split second its impossible for those in an enquiry to imagine what the officer went through so the decision could go either way and that is not as the officers have shown a gamble they are willing to take.

That is why i dont blame them for handing in their tickets only the police officer knows what he saw in that split second its impossible for those in an enquiry to imagine what the officer went through so the decision could go either way and that is not as the officers have shown a gamble they are willing to take.
Oh do spare my bleeding heart. We've got convicted rapists in the Met, convicted paedos, too. I am absoutely sure that some join up just for a licence to kill. The vetting process clearly isn't that good!

Which part of my post promoted your bleeding heart outburst is it not a fact the people in the enquiry couldn't know what was going through the police officers mind in that split second?

As for your only join up to kill people comment if you genuinely think that is true probably best I end my discussion with you on this subject as you clearly have a very low opinion of the police force for every wrong one you have described there are thousands who do the job properly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back