Moving indoors.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
I currently have my HLT and mash tun indoors and boil outside. I use propane for my boiler so it's a fair bit safer outside for various reasons.

After the boil I lift the (cooled) boiler into the garage...whirlpool then leave to sit whilst getting FV ready, etc.

I'm moving my system to a larger volume (60l max output) so lifting isn't an option anymore so I'm looking to create a single tier system indoors.

Obviously my gas has to go...but that's no big deal as I have 2 spare elements so can convert my current boiler to electric. Sorted.

I have pumps so physically moving liquids isn't a big deal either. I currently use pumps in my 20L brews (pre boil only) so I'm used to it.

The 2 questions I have is sanitation of pumps used post boil and how people deal with steam extraction during the boil???

Looking at the first question, I assume that I simply recirc the wort in the boiler for 10 mins prior to end of boil to sanitise the pump and associated tubing?? Is this thenthe ok to use throughout the cooling period and ultimately to pump into the fermenter?

The second question obviously involves steam extraction and there's a few ways to do this from what I read. The simplest being a big f*ck off fan blowing the steam away. I have a huge floor fan so I could do this, but that assumes I'm going to have the boiler next to a door.....which I may not have depending on the layout I decide on. I've also seen cooker hoods and extractor fans blowing through piping to a vent. This could be done.....but I've heard of dripping issues. Lastly, I've seen people simply cut a big hole in their boilers lid and put tumble dryer hosing onto the hole which then vents outside.

Anyone got any thoughts?

K

Back