Muntons Gold Contintental Pilsner - Sudden Change in Taste ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LochRannochBrewing

Reaction score
Longish post . . . bit of a personal intro and also a problem explanation . . .

I only started home brewing a few months ago so still learning a lot and just joined this group a day or so ago.
I've have been trying a range of lager and ale kits with, as you'd expect, varying levels of success. However, I do have to say that most have been much better than I expected (home brewing has moved on a LOT since I was younger).
In particular, I'm very impressed with the Muntons kits. The Smugglers Ale and the Conkerwood have both produced excellent results.

I've recently made a batch of the Muntons Gold Contintental Pilsner. I followed the instructions to the letter (as I said, still new to this) and then tucked it away in the cool garage for the final 21 days. After 16 days, I sneaked a quick taste and was already impressed. After the 21 days, I had a few more and also gave a few to friends and family and they were all similarly impressed.
However, only a week later I popped another bottle and there was a strong acidic smell and taste. I initially thought it was just a "bad bottle" but it seems to have affected all of the remaining bottles. I haven't experienced this before and have no idea what happened over the past week (some bottles were in cool garage, some in fridge).
Any help would be much appreciated . . .

Last edited:
Yes, good call actually Darren. It does smell and taste like some strong vinegar has been added to the beer.
Any ideas on why that would suddenly happen ?

Yeah doesn't look good I'm afraid mate

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210615-090024_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210615-090024_Chrome.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 48
That’s really disappointing as I always try to be VERY thorough in my cleaning & sterilising.
Oh well, I suppose we’re not working in totally sterile, factory-like environments, so something like this can always happen no matter how diligent we are.
Thanks again for your help Darren and I’ll give the Muntons another go . . .

Latest posts

Back