My Holy Grail

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice resource @Sadfield.

I'd noticed Brewfather seems to skew towards the higher end. For example, recommended range for a Helles is 2.5-3, rather than the 2.3-2.7 given in the chart.

They give the same for Dunkel, but the chart is 2.2-2.7.

I suppose aim for the middle and it should be ok.

I find that adding dextrin malt / carapils / oats to my mash bill helps head retention a lot.

But you're also disappointed in your carbonation levels which suggests you need more bottling sugar. Alternatively it's a great excuse to move to using kegs, CO2 and a beer gun / counterpressure system to fill your bottles.

Good morning @The Cat.
I'm a bit taken aback by some of the harsh responses to what seems to me to be a perfectly legitimate question, but maybe I've misread the thread.

Good luck and happy drinking.
Bit late to the party, here, but well said Clarence. Not talking specifically about this thread, but in general on this forum, there are a few posters who only seem to be able to criticise rather than encourage and support. There's nothing more likely to put people off from asking for help than being put down by those who can't resist demonstrating their "superior" opinion.

Is that their intention, to drive newcomers and those who are less experienced away? The result would be a forum full of similar behaviour, hostile to those asking for help, in which case the obvious question would be "what is the purpose of the forum?"

Now, dont want to hijack the thread, but did feel Clarence's post should be commented on.

Last edited:
Jof made a comment in another thread about carbonation. He advised (from memory) adding more sugar to a couple of bottles to see how it goes. As you're disappointed with your carbonation, I'd suggest doing say half with the level of sugar (not drops) recommended by various tables, and put more in the other half. You could even split the other half into 2 and try a different level. At the end, you'd have 3 levels of carbonation. That would help you home in on what level suited YOU.

Remember different sugars have different fermentability so have different effects.

To use up your drops, trying adding sugar with them. You'll get more carbonation as well as using them up. They're expensive compared to sugar and not as convenient - try adding one and 3 quarters of a tablet, accurately and repeatably :D

Last edited:
Back