New saison recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a couple of packets of Belle Saison yeast to use up so was going to use one on a new saison recipe. My typical saison grain bill is Pilsner (70%ish), Munich (15%), Wheat (10%), caramunich II (5%) and hopped with Sladek or Saaz at 60 and 15mins. However I have some other grains and hops in store so was planning to change it up a bit....

Based on a roughly 20litre boil, 16 litre batch

Pilsner 3kg 80%
Wheat 400g 10%
Munich 250g 7% OR Carahell 250g 7% OR Carapils 250g 7%
Special B 3%

Elixir 15g 5.2% @60min 14ibu
Elixir 15g 5.2%@5min 4ibu
Barbe Rouge 9.1% 15g @switch off
Barbe Rouge 9.1% 15g dry hop

Lallemand Belle Saison

Questions:
- wondering whether to use Munich or Carahell in the mash? Carahell would likely make it slightly darker and sweeter, Munich would be a bit lighter and more bready. I prefer my saisons on the paler side so also considering just replacing with a standard dose of Carapils?
- never normally dry hop a saison but this is my first beer ever with Barbe Rouge so would like to accentuate it a bit?
- splitting my first hop charge into two since I want to take advantage of some of the Elixir aroma.
- I have one packed of Belle Saison that expired in Dec, worth risking? It has been refridgerated since I got it but not sure how the LHBS handled it. I also have an in date packet. might just dump the older one.

All comments, advice, questions welcome.

Saison recipes varied quite a bit depending on what grains were available. So it's pretty open as far as what grains you use.
Don't toss that "out of date" yeast. Dry yeast lasts a LONG time. I've used yeast more than four years past the best by date with no issues.

How'd you get on?

Have also just made my first Saison and am bottling it later now that it's carbonated in the keg - I went Maris, Vienna, Crystal, and Flaked Oats with Chinook, Mosaic & Cascade, no dry hop though so will be interested to hear how that changes things. Think I used Belle too, have a Farmhouse to use at some point as well.

I went all-in for my first with a rum-barrel aged saison with honey, coriander, sweet and bitter orange peel (well, fake barrel aged anyway - oak chips soaked in rum for a few weeks). It was also my first 20L brew having upgraded my FV and keg.
Think my yeast was past it's date too and I also messed my temps up so it spent the first couple of days at 18.5 degrees before I popped it up to a more yeast friendly 23, not that it had any trouble going all the way down to 1.001 (7.1% abv), although it didn't taste that dry when I kegged it - tasted pretty good actually 😁

Fingers crossed it's tasting as good later, giving counter-pressure bottle filling a go too. This brew has certainly been one of firsts!

Latest posts

Back