new yeast on sunday (apols to duran duran)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Time 11am Saturday 5th Dec 2015

The mission:

get a brew done before SWMBO :nono: returns from shopping.

Strike water 2 litres water 72 deg C
Grains:
250g aromatic malt
250 choco malt
250 dark crystal grains in 2 litres for 1 hour at 64 deg
poured into brewpot via fine sieve added 1.7 litres water at 65 deg C to rinse grains.
boiled 50g of simcoe pellets in separate pan of 500ml water and boil for 15 mins at same time as the brewpot boil
(to get more hop extraction than boiling in 'thick wort')

Brewpot:
in addition to the work from the grains added
4.3 litres chase spring water
3 kg dme
500g dwe
500g dark candi sugar
180ml clarks maple syrup.
boiled for 15 mins
added all together in FV 10 liters. into water bath for 20 mins to chill down.
topped up to 22 litres
1.075 og.
mangrove jacks belgian ale yeast used (re-hydrated)
pitched at 27. All done by 2pm

pleased so far bubbling airlock about 3 hours after pitching.

Sunday 6th Dec:

krausen compact so far (phew) not as mental as the other belgian yeast i've used only reaches 24 litre mark on 30 litre fermenter.

no overflowing airlock or mess to clean up. :clap: less than 1 sec between airlock bubbles.
liking its good manners so far could this be my go to belgian yeast?
I'm fermenting at 22-23 to start with and will raise the temp as the days go by.
Fermentis abbye recommends 15-20 deg C and Mangrove jack say 26-32deg C so I was too high for the Fermetis and I'm too low for the MJ.

I used the Mangrove Jacks yeast in Oz and was pleasantly surprised as to how quickly they would start to get going eating all them sugars, especially when I just popped the dry yeast in directly, no starter. Nice stuff.

my m27 is bubbling well about once a second now.

impressed so far, can't wait for a taster sample but guess i'm going to have to :nono: will move this on the 19th to about 24 - 26 degrees part of house.

tester probably on the 27th :pray:

Well it chewed its way down to 1.004 without making a mess of the house. Very impressive and ahem very strong! Sherry like qualities and dark fruits. 9.3% abv on bottling.

Latest posts

Back