Oily texture in porters/stouts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piet_v

Reaction score
Hi all,

On a dutchspeaking brewing forum I frequent we are currently discussing how to obtain the typical oily mouthfeel sometimes found in commercial porters/stouts in Britain. :drink:
People are thinking in terms of mashing schedules/temperares ... and the like, but i don't believe that's it.
Rather believe in some 'secret' inqredient, but no idea where to look. :wha:

I'm sure this is the right place to ask ! :clap:

Piet. :cheers:

i'm not sure what you mean about the "oily mouthfeel" but i have found that oats, wheat malt, and flaked barley create a "different" mouthfeel when compared to english bitters.

have any of you given those a go?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by oily, if you are describing the creamy/slick mouth feel you can get it may be down to a mix of gases rather than using just c02?

Hi,

Oily in the sense of like higher viscosity than normal in beer (even when body is thinnish).
Could that be oats ??

Piet.

if you're comparing with Guinness, then that's got flaked barley in it... and alot more than normal too, i put a kilo of flaked barley and 500g of wheat malt in my guinness like recipe called TaRd.

that recipe weighed heavy on the stomach, and was silky as it went down, much like a guinness despite using only CO2 instead of N2 mixed, but it wasn't oily or thicker in viscosity.

You could try some WD40 at flameout?

Sorry, i'll get my coat

I know that taste piet_v and I think BS is right....it's oats.
I posted a recipe here clicky
Get one of your chaps to try it, it's a belter and I think it will solve the taste conundrum.

Say hi to the guys on the forum, my dad was Dutch :thumb:

Agreed, I think it's the oats you're after, and maybe flaked barley to a lesser extent. Don't overcarbonate either.

Vossy's recipe is a must try!!

I recently added 250g of melanoidin malt to the mash for to 25litre of old ale and I got exactly the oily mouthfeel you describe, I did nothing different in the process the onbly thing I can put it down to is the melanoidin (sp?)

Latest posts

Back