Printer woes...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Printer,Epson XP 305,playing up....using replacement ink for years,no problems until Mrs Clint done firmware update...I know,bad move,as it now won't recognise non genuine ink cartridge.
I've googled and tried the software downgrade method and reinstalling from original disk but it doesn't like it and still gives the error message.
Apart from buying very expensive original ink...will the latest compatible cartridges stating they have the latest chip, work? My current cartridges were bought some time last year so not sure what chip they have. Also it's just the cyan it doesnt like.
All this started with clogged nozzles which I've tried to clean by forcing some alcohol through to clean. This seemed to be working until the error message...such stops you using the printer.....
Any suggestions?

Cheers

Clint

About ten years ago I tried the "compatible" ink from Tesco and my printer (also an Epson) refused to work!

I just bit on the bullet from then on and bought the genuine stuff that cost an arm and a leg but worked!

I now have a Canon Printer that is refusing to recognise the Vodaphone Router, so I now have to wander over to the Printer and plug a USB into the Computer before printing anything.

Good News! It's such a PIA using a USB connection that I have reduced my printing load by at least 50%!

With regard to "Any suggestions?" mine is "Buy the real stuff!" At least the only painful moment is when you are handing the money over at the till.

I use those cartridge ink refill kits... about 3 quid from Wilkos for black AND colours. Takes 5 minutes tops and works perfect.

I use those cartridge ink refill kits... about 3 quid from Wilkos for black AND colours. Takes 5 minutes tops and works perfect.

I once saw a Poster in Saudi Arabia that said "Eat sh1t. Fifty million flies can't be wrong!" so taking heed of the Poster's advice, and at Wilko prices, I may very well go against my own advice (it won't be the first time!) and give them a whirl.

Many thanks!

Hey Clint, do you have all the epson software loaded? or just the driver? If you go onto the epson website there should be a program called Epson software updater. This should make sure you have all the updated software. I have an Epson, the software on my computer lets me know how much of each ink is remaining. The point is, this software should warn you its non-genuine but also give you the option to continue regardless of thetype of ink. If you only have the driver installed then the printer willjust not print.

I rarely did coulour printing so when my last one gave up I bought a cheap lazer printer and wouldn't co back to ink now.

Dutto - Your printer may not be recognising you router for various reasons but the common problems are the SSID might be incompatible with the printer. So, if you have a long SSID or a SSID with strange characters like $% etc. I’d try temporarily changing your SSID to something simple like ‘beer’ just to see if your printer then recognises the router. It might also be the frequency the router is transmitting. Are you using 2.4 or 5 mhz?

All this started with clogged nozzles which I've tried to clean by forcing some alcohol through
I have just pictured you slouched over the printer half shot, trying to make it have a drink. All whilst you vacantly stare at it; unimpressed; through one glazed eye.

I'm on my second HP and genuine ink it refuses anything else. But it's reliable and my previous printer lasted about ten years so I'm happy.

I had no luck with Epson but I would say like HP they are usually good with linux.

aamcle

Dutto - Your printer may not be recognising you router for various reasons but the common problems are the SSID might be incompatible with the printer. So, if you have a long SSID or a SSID with strange characters like $% etc. I’d try temporarily changing your SSID to something simple like ‘beer’ just to see if your printer then recognises the router. It might also be the frequency the router is transmitting. Are you using 2.4 or 5 mhz?

@strickers
  1. If an SSID is anything like an STD then I try to avoid them like the plague!
  2. I use heavy-duty condoms wherever possible as I have no faith in using 2.4 or 5mhz.
Seriously, you lost me after the first half of your first sentence, but if you are ever in Skegness please give me a shout and I will happily provide a brew or three to get it fixed.

I rarely did coulour printing so when my last one gave up I bought a cheap lazer printer and wouldn't co back to ink now.

Same. My print heads kept clogging, forcing me to buy a new printer every single time (as print heads cost about the same for most brands...). Toner cartridges cost a small fortune, but last pretty much forever for how often we use them, and as a bonus it's water proof (even if the paper it's on isn't.. lol). Nothing quite like the first time you open one up to fit the toner cartridges eh?

IMG_20180912_102710.jpg

I thought it was going to swallow me for a second..... Oh, yeah, it's colour.... lol Brilliant for printing beer labels.

Dutto, have you tried turning the printer off and then on again? Did the trick when our printer wouldn't connect to the stupid Virgin Superhub 3.... lol After I'd gone through all of the geeky steps of changing ssid, changing broadcast channel etc etc etc.... I run 2 routers now though, as the Superhub 3 has a naff wifi strength and we live in a 3 story house.... Not good when you use an Echo Dot to control your bedroom light on the top floor....

I have lost count of how many pages i have printed including full page pictures etc, replacement compatible toner cartridges are very reasonable and it just works first time every time even if you haven't plugged it in for months.

Hello all,
Printer,Epson XP 305,playing up....using replacement ink for years,no problems until Mrs Clint done firmware update...I know,bad move,as it now won't recognise non genuine ink cartridge.
I've googled and tried the software downgrade method and reinstalling from original disk but it doesn't like it and still gives the error message.
Apart from buying very expensive original ink...will the latest compatible cartridges stating they have the latest chip, work? My current cartridges were bought some time last year so not sure what chip they have. Also it's just the cyan it doesnt like.
All this started with clogged nozzles which I've tried to clean by forcing some alcohol through to clean. This seemed to be working until the error message...such stops you using the printer.....
Any suggestions?

Cheers

Clint
You might be out of luck as far as free options go. Epson are notorious for including functionality that disables third party ink in firmware updates. They even boast about it on their website.

If you can find an older firmware on the net then you can re-install that but it will have to be for your exact model number or you risk bricking your printer. Alternatively, email some cartridge sellers and quote the exact firmware version number that you have now and ask if their cartridges work with it.

In future, consider that colour lasers are like homebrew. Once you've had a good one you never go back.

Thanks all! Yes,I think all the software is there,the laptop icon/status says the printer is ready. I cannot test this until I install a cartridge it likes,it won't print just in black without all cartridge ports being used....I've ordered some "latest chip" so will try those when they arrive...they were only cheap. If they don't work I'll get some real ones..

Thanks all! Yes,I think all the software is there,the laptop icon/status says the printer is ready. I cannot test this until I install a cartridge it likes,it won't print just in black without all cartridge ports being used....I've ordered some "latest chip" so will try those when they arrive...they were only cheap. If they don't work I'll get some real ones..
Have you tried this.
Money back if they don't work.
https://www.inkfactory.com/ink-cartridges/epson/expression-xp-series/xp-305/

Last edited:
I once saw a Poster in Saudi Arabia that said "Eat sh1t. Fifty million flies can't be wrong!"

Fook me, that made me laff!

OP - you could try swaping the computer chips that are on the cartridges for genuine chips, if you have any. I did this when my printer started playing up. It wouldn't work because some catridges were almost empty. It also wouldn't let me put the wrong colour in its place. So I switched the chips. Daft thing didn't know the difference. Worked until I finally ran out of replacement ink cartridges. It was around this time that I introduced the printer to a skip. Goodbye and good riddance!

I've just got some genuine ink...it now likes me .. except for the magenta fake still in it but allows the option to use it. Three colours however look like the nozzles are blocked. I'm gonna run a few head cleans then flush them out with some isopropyl alcohol...then I will flush myself out with IPA.
:laugh8:

Latest posts

Back